banana wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
I just made a nice batch, http://homebrewwinery.blogspot.com/ and last time i had a one gallon batch I made like this. I let an avid wine drinker taste it and she said it was way too sweet. I did add a lot of sugar to sweeten it, do you think I should lay off the sugar and add some acid blend. Also does anyone know of a better way to keep that banana taste. Most of it fermented out.

Muntzster said:
I just made a nice batch, http://homebrewwinery.blogspot.com/ and last time i had a one gallon batch I made like this. I let an avid wine drinker taste it and she said it was way too sweet.

Was this wine intended to be a dessert wine or just a regular "drink a full glass" kind of wine? If the former, it SHOULD be sweet. Dessert wines are often so sweet that they are heavy and syrupy.

Banana *shudder* isn't a flavour I like in brews as I've said before but if you really want more 'banana' why not experiment and double the amount of fruit you used last time in primary?
And yes - less sugar and a touch of acid will give a dryer finish of course.

Caplan said:
Banana *shudder* isn't a flavour I like in brews as I've said before but if you really want more 'banana' why not experiment and double the amount of fruit you used last time in primary?
And yes - less sugar and a touch of acid will give a dryer finish of course.

Alright so a touch of acid, maybe a teaspoon top 5 gallons? and little or no sugar, yes i want it to be a drink a full glass kind of wine. When should I add the acid, its fermenting right now.

As for the banana flavor, there are all sorts of concentrated liquid fruit flavorings for wine or beer available. I havn't actually used any myself, yet, but I think I'll be needing it for my peach wine, when it's ready.

Back