Keeping Co2 tank outside of fridge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I was wanting to do some mod's on my fridge, including moving the Co2 tank outside of the fridge (I can't take the Co2 pressure guessing anymore)....does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this? I dont want to just start drilling holes without asking on here first...

Thanks!

I put my Co2 bottle on the out side and had no problems. I don't know what kind of fridge you have but most have the coils in the back so drilling through the side is not a big deal. I bought a O ring Rubber Grommets -that fits on the metal side to prevent my hose from being cut. Other than that I just made sure I had a good enough hose from my bottle to put it on the ground or on top of the fridge.

I would suggest doing an online search by model number for your fridge schematic. That will show you were all the components are to avoid drilling them. In most cases you should be able to figure it out without that step, but it is a simple way to play it safe. In many older units you can easily see the coils inside and that usually means the sidewalls are just metal & insulation. If you are really paranoid about drilling, start with a very small diameter bit and drill lightly and slowly so you could feel any resistance. Then you can poke around inside with a thin wire or paper clip to make sure.

You could also post a photo of the inside & model number to ask others what they think. My older 1980's GE was a 2 minute process to run the line through the sidewall.

You can turn your fridge off for a day to let it warm up then turn it back on and there should be slight condensation on the inside where the lines are running.

Back