waxing beer bottle caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a link for the video you watched?

I don't recall the website off hand. I think I just googled "wax sealing wine bottles" and it was one of the links on the first page of results. It wasn't the most informative video but I just wanted to see someone do it before I tried it myself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2tfko-iU0&feature=fvw]YouTube - Wax seal the corks on your Mead Bottles[/ame]

I'm Pslychic.

image016a.jpg

Thanks for the link. I just picked up some of the black wax pellets from my LHBS and will try it soon on my Darklord RIS Clone.

So I took some of the tips from here and waxed a batch of barleywine a few days ago.
I used "creamy" DIY candle wax(1/2lb) + a red candle wax dye block and 8 glue sticks.
What I got was a mixture that didn't blend very well and took quite a while under heat to get any kind of consistent color. Unfortunately the consistent color I got was a pasty pink. Here are some pictures.
3953816244_099d55094d.jpg

3955931605_2197914b38.jpg

3955936581_f1892f809a.jpg

3966296382_8f03771348.jpg

i waxed my mead bottles and some seemed to not seal could i have had the wax to hot that it melted the seal in the cap

If crown caps needed to be waxed, they'd have come with wax right along. It's one of those technologies that doesn't really need any help. By the time anything significant makes it in past that seal, any beer in there is probably gone for reasons other than oxygenation.

OTOH, if you just want it to look cool, wax away....... love pulling the wax top off a bottle of Knob Creek.

I did this today and melted 3 blood red candles down using the soup can/boiling water method. It worked great but it doesn't give the trailing wax down the bottle look I was going for. Still, I definitely think it is more about the look than the functionality. These are gifts for Christmas and I was adding just a tad more touch to them. It will make for a great gift none-the-less.

The wax used to seal bottles, and candle wax or other waxes are NOT The same thing I do not think. I have waxed 3 batches of beer and when you remove the wax it is more brittle than candle wax almost plasic feeling. It is easy to do...quick...not expensive and it does look cool. Just buy the wax pellets from the LHBS and melt em in something you don't wanna keep. Dip the bottle in and take it out holding it upside down to let the excess drip off. spin the bottle and set upright. I have used the same wax on all 3 batches just remelting what was left in the metal bowl I used. ALSO when cleaning the wax off. it will basically "pop" right off, especially if you rinse the bottle with hot water THEN pop it off.

OH YEAH.. use a deeper rather than a wider pan or whatever to melt the wax in. The look is much better if you get the wax further down the neck of the bottle rather than just barely covering the cap.

I would agree that the LHBS wax is better and far more efficient for the purpose of functional waxing. I was toying with the idea of not doing this at all but thought I would "play" with it. Worked out well and looks great. Maybe the next time I will do this the right way but this suited my purposes this time. Either way, good practice. Thanks for the tips!

Other than dressing up the presentation there isn't any reason to do it. I also agree with just using the wax from your LHBS since it is really easy to clean and peel off the bottle. I also suggest to dipping too soon or too hot. On my first attempt bottles I dipped before everything was nice and melted have lots of air bubbles in the final product and bottles dipped once the wax was really hot didn't coat will and needed several dips.

image-2687868780.jpg

image-520284098.jpg

I've been waxing the tops of my beers for the last 6 batches now. I wouldn't say that it neccesarily serves any functional purpose (though it certainly makes sure there is a great seal).

I do it for several reasons.

1 - I haven't gotten around to making labels for my beers, because I don't like the idea of having to peel them off again. Using different colors of wax allows me to know which beer is which.

2 - It makes getting the beer open take a little bit longer, and requires a certain skill due to the wax formula I use. Some might say this is idiocy, but nothing irks me more than someone drinking a brew I've spent time and energy on without even realizing it's homemade.

3 - I enjoy artsy stuff. So, yeah, dipping things in hot wax is right up my alley.

When I decided to do this I scoured the interwebs for advice, and there isn't much out there. Buying wax for dipping is probably the easy thing to do, but I like to make things myself so I can up with my own recipe. Here is what I came up with that works well for me.

I use a large tin (one for whole peeled tomatos) and melt 10 crayons in it, a quarter lb of parafin wax, and a whole bunch of hot glue sticks. This gives me great color, a nice shine, and tough so that it is difficult, but not impossible to get off the beer cap. Get the mixture good and hot on the stove at medium heat. Take the capped bottle, dip it in, give it a quarter turn while in the wax, lift it out and spin it so it doesn't drip, and finally bang it on the counter a few times (you'll need some padding so you don't smash your bottle). The banging on the counter helps to get really dramatic drips of wax.

wax2.jpg

If you let the mixture heat up sufficiently, it runs thin enough that the bottle cap can be popped off with a opener.

wax3.jpg

Best of luck.

Also, because I want to do minimal work, I leave the old wax on the bottles unless it peels off easily. This leads to some interesting color combinations.

wax4.jpg

Waxed my bottles yesterday. I tilted the can of wax while dipping the bottom in and it gives a nice slant to the wax on the bottle.

Oh, and since it was a pumpkin ale, I added some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the wax to scent it. Wax smells pretty good!

244181_10100686806600879_719068678_o.jpg

I use a large tin (one for whole peeled tomatos) and melt 10 crayons in it, a quarter lb of parafin wax, and a whole bunch of hot glue sticks.

Where can you buy a bunch of the same colored crayons, I always see them in assorted boxes?

When you say a whole bunch of glue sticks...about how many is that to this ratio of crayons/wax?

Where can you buy a bunch of the same colored crayons, I always see them in assorted boxes?

When you say a whole bunch of glue sticks...about how many is that to this ratio of crayons/wax?

So I ordered a huge box of crayons for Dick Blick arts supplies. It was a box of 800 crayons, 100 each of 8 basic colors. I will admit this was overkill, and I now have more crayons than I'll ever need (especially since I re-use the caps).

In terms of glue sticks, I keep adding them until the can is about 3/4 full. I'd guess it is 10 or so large glue sticks (the 10 inch variety). This is a judgement call, and of the many times I've done it I usually just top off what I have with some more glue sticks (since I'm often re-melting previous batches).

Another pro-tip, get a piece of twine about 8-10 inches long, wrap it around the underside of the cap so that it goes over itself and then dip the bottle while holding the end of the twine to the bottle. This way when it hardens, you can get the wax off easily without wielding a knife. I'll post some photos of the procedure when I get home. This was a MAJOR improvement since it both looks awesome and makes the bottles easy to open.

Waxed my bottles yesterday. I tilted the can of wax while dipping the bottom in and it gives a nice slant to the wax on the bottle.

Oh, and since it was a pumpkin ale, I added some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the wax to scent it. Wax smells pretty good!

Wow! I have never thought to do this! I've got a Pumpkin Ale and a Winter Spice Ale that will be bottle in a week, totally going to do this.

So I ordered a huge box of crayons for Dick Blick arts supplies. It was a box of 800 crayons, 100 each of 8 basic colors. I will admit this was overkill, and I now have more crayons than I'll ever need (especially since I re-use the caps).

I had not thought of Blick, I had checked school supply places and they usually were kind of pricy. I see blick has single color 12-packs for $1.75.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/crayola-crayons/

Nothing like reviving an old thread!
Has anyone experienced any negative oxygenation from turning their bottles upside down to dip them in wax?
I plan on using 22 oz bombers so the air pocket should be very small, but I'm curious if it'd be better to dip or use a spoon to pour the wax on the bottle.

If you're going to be aging the beer for an extended period you're pretty much guaranteed that all oxygen trapped in the bottle will have reacted with the beer so it really shouldn't make any difference whether you shake the bottle furiously or treat it like it were full of nitroglycerine. ;)
BTW I seriously doubt that a thin wax coating is going to do much to prevent further O2 ingress, assuming of course you're using crown caps and not corks. With corks it probably will make a difference as corks are quite permeable to O2.

If you're going to be aging the beer for an extended period you're pretty much guaranteed that all oxygen trapped in the bottle will have reacted with the beer so it really shouldn't make any difference whether you shake the bottle furiously or treat it like it were full of nitroglycerine. ;)
BTW I seriously doubt that a thin wax coating is going to do much to prevent further O2 ingress, assuming of course you're using crown caps and not corks. With corks it probably will make a difference as corks are quite permeable to O2.
Using crown caps. Going to try sealing them with wax not necessarily for oxygen sealing, but because they will look cool. Crayons and glue gun sticks are pretty cheap for making a gift look cool! I was just wondering if I tipped them upside to dip them if that oxygen would get my beer, but your answer says it would have anyways. Thanks!

Is it really necessary? No, you could also cork finish Belgian style bottles. Does it look nice? Most people think so. These were dipped into wax in a vegetable can. Wax should not be melted over a direct flame, so small soup can in a pot of water enough water that it will not float in or a thrift store double boiler that will be dedicated to wax.
3046650C-BEF3-40E5-B7FB-BE3BF36E8281.jpeg

I've waxed a number of bottles.
I used old candles, both red and green candles.
Trimmed them up and put them into an old vegetable can from the recycle bin, and melted the wax in a double boiler setup, remember wax burns if heated directly on the stove. Added in several glue sticks, per recommendations from here.

What I learned, if the wax is too hot, one gets a very thin coating and re-dips melt the wax already on the bottle.
It needs to be at the point, where it has just melted, really hard to judge, but after a few one figures it out.
I usually had to dip two or three times before I was satisfied with the outcome.

Back