Fermentation Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmate76

Reaction score
I brewed the MHB Cream Ale on Saturday. Looks like a great recipe! Everything went well except for one problem - I did not seal the primary fermenter properly. It's a plastic fermenter with a screw lock top. I had the top misthreaded because I unknowingly applied the top at an angle.

I did not get any bubble action in my airlock so I started to get suspicious something was wrong. I pitched the dry yeast Saturday afternoon and on Tuesday, still no bubbles. There was a strong beer smell in the laundry room starting on Sunday afternoon. Finally, on Tuesday I inspected the setup and discovered the misthreaded lid. I took the lid off and sealed it properly. (The beer smelled great, btw)

By this time, I suspect the fermentation may have been completed because even though it's properly sealed, there are still no air bubbles.

What effects do you suppose could occur due to a not quite sealed lid? Should I keep this beer in my primary for 3-4 weeks like I typically do?

Yes, keep in the primary as you would normally do. There should have been plenty of CO2 coming out. That would have not let in anything bad. RWDAHB!

You will be fine. It has happened to me before. Look around on here and you will find similar posts.

Back