Summit Hops Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Is summit the "tangerine" aroma hop? If not which hop is it?

Question 2
Is Amarillo the best substitution?

Question 3
can you buy summit or simcoe rhizomes anywhere?

Thanks,
Phillip

1.) Summit is "the tangerine hop"

2.) Don't think so

3.) Don't know about summit, but I'm pretty sure simcoe is a proprietary rhizome.

It can be tangerine. I would not use it to substitute Cascade (never used Amarillo.) My IPA is not so tangerine but spicy. My Summit Pale is all tangerine now but I've not tasted it finished yet. It may fade.

I'm kind of on the fence about Summit. I get a real earthy, dirty aroma as well as the tangerine. I'm not sure I like the combination.

Anyway, as far as a sub, yeah, I'd pick amarillo.

What about using Simcoe or Nugget as the Sub? They both have around the same Alpha and Beta Acid Ranges, and while the Simcoe has around the same oil level, the Nugget has about the same Co-H levels. Hope I helped :)

What about using Simcoe or Nugget as the Sub? They both have around the same Alpha and Beta Acid Ranges, and while the Simcoe has around the same oil level, the Nugget has about the same Co-H levels. Hope I helped :)

Except that simcoe is piney and nothing like summit in flavor. It might have simililar AAUs, but it's not even close to a sub. Nugget is much different, also- more spicy and "herb" flavored, not at all citrusy.

Summit is VERY tangerine-y. When I've used it it seems to overpower anything else, but I don't have anything that's over 2 months old with them so hopefully it mellows. I get more of a grapefruit sense from Amarillo.

Except that simcoe is piney and nothing like summit in flavor. It might have simililar AAUs, but it's not even close to a sub. Nugget is much different, also- more spicy and "herb" flavored, not at all citrusy.

Ah, point well taken. I have to adjust my comparison charts to also include flavor, not just science. My bad. What about Riwaka? Grapefruity, but lower Alpha Acids.

hmmm.... Never got that one before. Ideas for a fruit basket IPA are slowly forming though. Tangerine Summit, kumquat Riwaka, grapefruity Amarillo, Lemony C- varieties. So it sounds like Amarillo would be the best sub.

Back