Apfelwein is sparkling in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhermit

Reaction score
How is this possible? Pulled a sample out of my primary today just for a taste......and it's bubbly as hell! It's tasty but how did it carbonate with an airlock on? And do I need to bottle it before it goes flat? Should I prime it?

Sounds like it isn't done fermenting. Apfelwein should finish under 1.0 -- time to bring out the hydrometer.

you don't need pressure to carbonate as long as the yeast are active. As the yeast works it will saturate the liquid with co2 and that is why it is sparkling when in the raw.

even after the yeast have eaten all the sugar there will be CO2 bubbling out of solution. you will still need to prime it but for now give it time.
and enough with the german already

+1 for what daze and stick say. You have CO2 in suspension and that's what's giving it the fizz. The longer it sits or if you rack it this will probably come out of suspension over time. Just prime it when bottling and the yeasties will eat that and carb the bottles.

haha even worse!!! just to be anal the gas is in solution not suspension. doesn't matter, words is just words
das ist kein spielplatz

Latest posts

Back