motorcycles, who here rides one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
02 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. I broke my ankle/leg on my 09 Ultra Classic and felt I needed a lighter bike until my ankle/leg completely recovered. So I sold it and got the Heritage. I love the Heritage, but someday, I know I'll go back to a tourer. Mine is the one in the foreground with the blue cooler.

2012-10-14_14-53-51_273.jpg

Okay. Motorcycle helmets. Go.

I've had a KBC and a Nolan.

The KBC was okay. It got to be kinda noisy and the padding got mashed down. The clear visor also started making things look kinda rainbow oil spill sheeny and wavy. I had it 3 years and wore it a lot. Usually while motorcycling. It was time to get a new one. I got a Nolan.

The Nolan N90 was great until the tinted visor started scratching inside the helmet. It's never been dropped. I don't know what happened. It's gotten worse and the clear visor is worn where the anti-fog shield was. I took it off because it wasn't really doing anything anyway. It's getting noisy as well. All that and at near 3 years old, it's time to replace it too.

I'm looking for DOT, modular (flip up face), integrated tinted visor with clear visor, removable padding and good ventilation that can be closed off in cold weather. A one piece full face would work if I could take it off and on without jacking up my glasses. That was a problem with every full face I tried on, and I wear small wire rim flex frames. Under $400 would be nice too. Not black. Prefer not Chinese, not for a helmet. Japanese, Korean, German and Italian is okay. I think the only USA helmets are Seer, and those are motorcycle cop style. No face protection. Simpson is car racing only, I think.

This sounds like a familiar post :drunk:

These days I only wear Shoei. I started wearing HJC and had a Bell. The HJC were ok but fit, finish, and long term durability of the materials fell a little short. I have crash tested an HJC and it did its job admirably but it was heavy and the wind noise was rough. The Bell was absolute junk wore it about three times before selling it for a quarter of what I paid for it.

I used to think Shoei and similar premium helmets were overpriced but the ones I have owned had just fit better, worked better, and lasted longer than other brands.

I have also personally witnessed two nasty crashes by Shoei clad riders. Both had major head impacts and one had major chunks missing from the helmet. Neither rider had any head injury, not even a headache.

Twalte, I always push it half way down the alley before cranking over! Better to annoy them and not my immediate neighbors...

It wouldn't bother me one bit...I'd have to insist that you wick the throttle a few times every morning.

I used to smile every time I heard my neighbor start up his Deuce...thing sounded sweet. Used to set off alarms any time we were in a parking garage.

Just got my 1st one today:D
I was only able to ride it from the dealer to home. Hopefully I'll be able to put on some miles real soon.
'13 Harley-Davidson Breakout
imag0217-59848.jpg

Got a learners permit and bought a used Honda for $400 in 1978. In less than a month I had to hit the brakes really hard, several times, for cars pulling out of driveways right in front of me. So I parked it and 6 months later sold it for $200. There are just too many bad drivers out there for me. Maybe if I lived way out in the country??.

I've heard that's worse. Deer, farm animals, crazy blind curves, poorly marked roads and people driving like they're out in the country with no one else around.

Most of my riding is in the city though. Ride like you're invisible and everyone is trying to kill you.

We went from Dallas to Hico on the most rural, goat trail route we could, and man, narrow roads, rocks in the road, no shoulder, sometimes no pavement and steep drop offs. Damn good time. :D

I used to ride a couple years back, had an 01 gixxer 6. I loved riding on Friday and Saturday nights, but sitting in traffic in Tampa at 2 in the afternoon in August, wearing a legit armored leather jacket with a proper helmet and gloves really sucked. Fully perfed front and arms matter not when there's no airflow to cool you off.
If I did it again, I would do a bobber, Indian Larry style with a knucklehead replica, short apes, springer front, and 80 spokes front and rear. Skinny whitewalls too. NOT a daily driver.

Got a learners permit and bought a used Honda for $400 in 1978. In less than a month I had to hit the brakes really hard, several times, for cars pulling out of driveways right in front of me. So I parked it and 6 months later sold it for $200. There are just too many bad drivers out there for me. Maybe if I lived way out in the country??.

sorry to hear you sold out.....been ridin since early teens off & on depending on my social & money situation.....learned to never zone or day dream while riding. i ride like i learned flying a G.A. plane, always scan and never give your oppotunity for egress away. yeah i've had a few close calls in the years, scanning and being alert helped me avoid a mishap.
myself that's what i like about riding, it's the alertness needed that is enjoyable with the freedom of two wheels beneath you.
riding to relax .....well ...i'll relax in front of a cold beer & a movie.
my poll of several friends who were involved in accidents always revealed zoning, not yeilding or driving as if they were in a car.......left hand turns in front of motorcyclist is on the top of the list for accidents....

GD51:mug:

myself that's what i like about riding, it's the alertness needed that is enjoyable with the freedom of two wheels beneath you.
riding to relax .....well ...i'll relax in from of a cold beer & a movie.

GD51:mug:

That's something. I hear so many people say it's relaxing. As much as I do enjoy it, it's not relaxing. Not like lounging in the recliner with a beer, messing around in the yard or even brewing. It's fun. Very fun. It's fun even to ride to work. But it's a full time, pay-the-fuq-attention endeavor. There are times I get home and I'm like, whew, now I can relax.

Figured I would revisit this thread, just got home from picking up the newest member of the family. A 1963 Ducati Bronco 125. It is mostly complete, missing seat, the gas rank is toast, and the wheel rims need to be replaced. Previous owner freed the piston and started tear down before losing interest.

I'm picturing a little cafe racer once it is put back together (personally don't like the looks of the stock bronco)

without further ado a shot of some of the pieces, it's much much much younger brother had to horn in on the shot.

image-3183594147.jpg

Added another one to the stable today.

967014_10151573806289842_1956872227_o.jpg

This one is actually for my wife but I have to admit it is far more fun than it should be. It actually accelerates pretty darn briskly with my fat butt on it and has not problems cruising at 65 to 70. Such a low center of gravity it is really stable as well.

I've had/have several bikes over the years. My current project is a neglected $300 '84 Goldwing my daughter & I will pretty up together this summer while she is home from college.

Craigslitad1.jpg

Got her running without much effort, and all of the mechanicals work fine. :mug:

H-D 06 Screamin' Eagle Ultra. Was out on it most of the day. Should have used sun screen!

I currently ride a 600rr but am hopping to get a supermoto in the next month or so

08 Triumph Daytona SE and a 99 R6. The triumph is my baby less then 5000 on it. Would like to add a Ducati or an Aprila to my collection in the future.

1996 Harley Electraglide Classic for two up, 2007 Victory Hammer for one up and neck twisting, 2000 Miata MX 5 for rain lol! I spent too many rainy days and kicks in the saddle...and miss my Eddie Lawson Replica already ;-(. But my stale Altbier sure smells good from my nightstand lol!

Back