repitching onto yeast cake question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
Hey, I have a version of EdWort's apfelwein going....its about 3.5 weeks old and I am going to transfer it to a secondary in the next few days. I used White Labs English Cider yeast WLP775 because the LHBS recommended it, but besides that it is the same recipe with 2lbs dextrose & 5gal Harris Teeter apple juice. Once I transfer it to secondary I was going to just throw some more apple juice on the cake but I have never done this before. I have read on here that this is definitely possible but I wanted to know 2 questions: Has anyone had experience with this yeast and if so what outcomes? Also, when I do start the new apfelwein on the old yeast cake do I just pour it in and thats it or do I give it a good stir to mix things back up?

Just pour the new stuff back on the yeast cake, that should stir it up plenty! For the record, until recently I had a yeast cake for apfelvein going for almost a year (12 batches). Every 2-3 batches, I would just pour half of the cake off and mix up the next batch!

I ran a batch of apfelwein on the cake from the previous batch once. Talk about an explosive fermentation... Was bubbling furiously within a couple of hours and overflowed the bubble lock within the first day. Definitely going with a blowoff tube next time I do that :cross:

Latest posts

Back