Mixing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Has anyone pitched two different vials of yeast before for 1 batch?

Just curious if you could create your own 'unique' strain doing this. Possibly wlp001 and wlp007 together or something like that.

I've pitched Wyeast 3724, fermented until the beer is about 3/4 of the way to predicted attenuation and then pitched 3711 to make sure the beer attenuates nicely. I've had excellent results every time. All the flavor of 3724 without the need to maintain warm temperatures or worry about a stalled fermentation. Not sure how it would work with 001 and 007. Are you thinking about pitching both strains simultaneously?

I made a great English IPA with two yeast strains (white labs Irish ale and wyeast Yorkshire ale)- simultaneous pitch. In the book "yeast" it is stated that there can be many benefits to mixing and because beer yeast grow at similar rates they don't have issues out competing each other. Try it!

Just terminology, but that would be a unique "blend" not a unique "strain" I did a farm house ale recently with a Saison yeast for a few days followed by Brett. if you are planning on saving the yeast and repitching eventually one strain will begin to dominate the other. It can take a while, like 5 batches, but if you keep your eye on fermentation metrics you'll catch it before it is really a problem.

Check out le freAk by green flash. They start fermenting with wl550 Belgian and pitch wl001 Cali on day two. It's amazing!

Not quite the same, but I've used T-58 and WLP099 together. The 099 isn't there for the flavor like most yeast strains, but instead for the attenuation and alcohol tolorance.

Back