Wine with Mr Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I still have a couple of Mr Beer containers that I haven't used since upgrading to full-size beer batches, and I was wondering if I could use them to start making some homemade wine on a small scale.

Could I just fill them with grape juice, throw the wine yeast in, and let it be for a couple of weeks? I have some larger bottles with flip-top lids that I could fill from the Mr Beer spigot.

Well, I rack my wines fairly often, and I don't know how you'd accomplish that with a Mr. Beer keg. I guess no one knows, that's why no one replied! :)

The Mr Beer keg has a spigot, so I was thinking I could just leave it for a couple of months and then bottle. Surely that would allow for most of the sediment to settle. I guess the only worry would be oxygen because the Mr Beer keg doesn't have a proper airlock.

I rack most wines at least 4-6 times and keep them airlocked while bulk aging for maybe 3-6 months. You wouldn't want to keep your wine on the sediment any where near that long. Usually I rack from primary in about 3-5 days for most wines.

Most wines degas through the aging process- I don't know without an airlock how that would work. Still, it might be just the ticket if you want to try it!

I did an apfelwien batch in the Mr. Beer and it was goooood. I would think you could use Yooper Chicks recipe for Welchs wine and go for it...Although it doesn't use an airlock, you are supposed to brew beer in it, right? No airlock for that either....

Back