Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBORN

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a batch of stout last Saturday. The fermentation took a little over 24 hours to start. Today, seven days later, it's still slightly bubbling (very slowly). I was planning on bottling tomorrow but I'm not sure if it'll be ready. If I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow and it's at, or near, it's final gravity, should I bottle or wait? If I wait, I probably won't be able to get to it until next Saturday. Would that be too long or can it stay in the carboy for a little while? It's 65 degrees in my house and I used a White Labs California Ale yeast - WLP001.

Thanks!

If you willing to wait till next Saturday I would rack it over to your secondary for secondary clearing and aging. But I definitely can be in a carboy without any problems for a few weeks!:mug:

Whats the rush, if its still fermenting, let it role. Maybe you can send it to a secondary fermentor. I think if its still fermenting and there is still sugar for the taking...then you add more sugar for priming for bottling...that could be an issue.
It could be 65 degrees may have slowed the fermentation to last longer than normal.

IMO, leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. 1 week is not enough time. Check the gravity over the course of 2 or three days. If the readings are the same, then it's ready to bottle. Patience is the key.

Cheers :mug:

IMO, leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. 1 week is not enough time. Check the gravity over the course of 2 or three days. If the readings are the same, then it's ready to bottle. Patience is the key.

Cheers :mug:

What he said!

If you have a larger vessel for primary and you want to brew again get a 5 gallon vessel for secondary and transfer it over. If you don't need to reuse the primary vessel let is sit.

Back