New Single Tier Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yavid

Reaction score
I recently came across some 2"x2"x3/16" wall tubing that was being sold cheap and I've decided to use it to build a brewstand (I realise this is heavier then needed but the price was right). Because the tubing is mild steel I would like to paint/powdercoat the finished brewstand. Since paint/powder will not be able to withstand the heat of the 3 banjo burners I will be using I was thinking of building the burner mounts/heat shields out of 3/16" stainless steel. The The mounts will be made out of 9 separate parts that wil be bolted together using 3/16" or 1/4" bolts. To help keep heat from transfering from the heat shields to the stand I plan on using ceramic fabric or washers between the heat shields and the stand.

Just looking for opinions before I order the laser cut stainless for the burner mounts. Do you think these mounts will support the weight of a full keggle? Is 3/16" overkill for the burner mounts? Do you think this setup will keep the burners from torching the paint/powder on the stand?

Any tips/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Photos are here: hXXp://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i476/Garage_Brewer/

I just got my stand powder coated and it is supposed to be good up to 1200 degrees. I haven't brewed on it yet, so I can't say if it is holding up (but hopefully this weekend).

What size kettles are you going to use? With 18" opening between beams, you may have a lot of heat wash coming up the sides of the kettles. This can cause issues with sight glasses, valves (seals) and tubing.

I use converted kegs. I've been brewing on a Banjo Cooker with no heat wash problems. I don't use a sight glass and my valves are mounted fairly high. I don't think a large opening should be much different then a Banjo Cooker that is wide open. I think I'd rather try to keep the heat away from the stand and then use heat shields if run into issues with heat on the valves and hoses.

Here's a pic of the mount in question.
003.png
[/IMG]

Thanks for posting the pic for me.

So, what's the verdict? Do you guys think these will hold a full keggle of wort? Do you think it'll keep heat from burning the paint off of my brewstand?

Back