Alternative Bottle Openers... what do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am stcuk without a real opener, I usually use my pocket knife. But I have also been known to use a cell phone (not my nice one...) or the edge of a desk.

Told the wife about the wedding ring opener trick. She said "You are lucky, my ring is too thin to open the ring." I thought she would be shocked or offended but she said no its great you can use it for something functional.

I am the one with the problem with this technique as a newly wed I am still getting used to this thing, it really weighs down my left hand. I am also afraid of scratching it.

lemme see:

bic lighter
box wrench
spoon
can opener
church key
striker plate
screw driver
pocket knife
isuzu ignition key
butter knife
shotgun shell
30-06 or larger caliber cartridge
basically anything strong and 2"+

once you realize the leverage, on the ground in the woods you will find a branch of sufficient girth.

if i can't find my keys (w/ attached bottle opener) in like 10 seconds of wanting to crack a brew, i usually use the edge of my counter top and smack that puppy

i have the bottle end of one of these, house key, and each vehicle and motorcycle.

XL-1VEF6.JPG

There are so many possibilities... any thing that can get leverage under the cap works...i cant even think of all the things that Ive used after having a couple

my truck has a built in bottle opener (and I bet many of your vehicles have the same one).

I can't recall for sure, but I seem to remember my dad having an old Buick when I was a kid that had a bottle opener on the dash within reach of the driver. Dad only opened pop bottles with it, but I half think it was for opening beer bottles on the road.

I was setting routes at a climbing wall once late at night before a competition. The wall's owner took all of us over to the rack of climbing gear for sale behind the counter, and told us that anything that we couldn't open a beer with, he was going to stop selling. Fun times.

a sailboat winch handle, c/o a guest skipper.. i open 'em like that every time I'm on the boat now..

I was setting routes at a climbing wall once late at night before a competition. The wall's owner took all of us over to the rack of climbing gear for sale behind the counter, and told us that anything that we couldn't open a beer with, he was going to stop selling. Fun times.

IMG00081-20100209-1728.jpg

This is the best piece of gear that Black Diamond makes!
Always have it with me ;)

I have used a carabiner before, I usually have my keys on one and it actually works pretty well.

I knew this Russian guy (Boris of course) who would open beer bottles with his eye socket, pretty neat party trick lol.:ban:

I keep a 12" crowbar on my desk at the office. It has only two purposes; open my bottles of beer, and the occasional shake at the people wandering into my office, asking me to fix their computers. I'm the calm and quiet IT guy. :)

Back