Looking for recipe/kit - Vanilla Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
I want to do an extract brew. I started thinking about a vanilla porter, but then realized i love milk stouts as well. Does anyone know of a Vanilla Milk Stout recipe or kit. I would like to use beans rather than an vanilla extract.

Thanks!

Not to be snarky, but take your average Milk Stout recipe (preferably one in the 1.060's range) and add a vanilla bean to secondary (you can add your lactose then too). It will likely be great!

I have brewed Jamil's MIlk Stout from brewing classic styles and it turned out excellent.

Yeah, sorry about that guys. after posting, i saw a bunch that basically said just that. I was looking at the NB version.

I've only read about soaking in vodka, not bourbon. It's an interesting thought. when you add them to secondary, do you add the liquor too?

Yeah, sorry about that guys. after posting, i saw a bunch that basically said just that. I was looking at the NB version.

I've only read about soaking in vodka, not bourbon. It's an interesting thought. when you add them to secondary, do you add the liquor too?

Yes you do.

If you add the liquor and the vanilla beans to the secondary, how do you calculate abv? And will the alcohol in the bourbon kill off the yeast in bottling carbonation?

you don't need to use much liquor. when i did a chocolate porter, i added 4oz of nibs and three beans that had been soaking in vodka a month.

i had put it all in a small mason jar and added vodka till full. 4oz of vodka (40% ABV) spread over 50 beers is pretty insignificant. if you were doing just beans, you could get away with much less than i used, too.

ddrrseio, did you bottle carbonate your beer? or did you keg the beer? I am planning on bottle carbonation using primer sugar...

i bottled primed it with fresh yeast. i started doing this when i got tired of how long some batches took to carbonate. this becomes really easy/cheap if you wash yeast.

Back