What type yeast would be best for a brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shohog

Reaction score
Doing a partial or mini-mash the following recipe kit from my LHBS.

4.0lb Amber LME
1.0lb Light DME
4.5lb Pale malt (2 row)
0.88lb Specialty Roast
0.88lb Victory malt
0.88lb Crystal malt 60L
0.13lb Chocolate Malt

1.00oz Cascade (60min)
0.25oz Nugget (60min)
0.25oz Fuggles (15min)
0.50oz Fuggles (0min)

Beersmith estimate Calc: OG 1.050 FG 1.012 IBU 25 ABV 4.96% :mug: kit includes a dry yeast Munton's Gold
I will be doing a yeast starter

I like Nottingham personally, but a normal american ale yeast like Safale 05 or Wyeast 1056 would also work well.

I think the Munton's "Gold" is ok, and might be fine for this recipe.

If I were to pick though, I'd probably pick Windsor (dry) or English ale yeast (I think it's WLP002) for a liquid.

Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention I have the Wyeast 1056 that I washed and have used very successfully. This I learned from Homebrewtalk website and it have saved me and will save me a lot of money! I love this website, it is a wealth of info and has many homebrewers who are nice enough to answer beginner questions like mine. I been at it for 1 year and love it.
I just finished a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and then next had a pale ale I made on 12/13/08 and it was a perfect clone! I am constantly improving my beers thanks to you guys!

I know you weren't referring to me, but being a guy myself, I assume all users on forums are male (unless their Avatar suggests otherwise). Since you Avatar is of a male hockey player, I naturally assumed you are male. Should've read your sig more carefully (sorry Yooper).

BTW, I was going to suggest WLP002 too, until I read your suggestion. My first beer was a brown ale with that yeast.

Yooper, do women really brew beer? You are so sweet to go to all that trouble to make beer to please your husband or boyfriend. I am lucky if I can get my wife to make a hot meal more than once a week! lol

JK!!! We Okies often misuse the word guys with no intended gender. Thanks again for your reply. I'll be more carefull with gender based words. :) Go Redwings! hey! I never seen a hockey game but I am sure there must be lots of women fans whom are drinking choice beer!

My recommendation would be to use Wyeast's 1968 London ESB Ale yeast. That is, if you want a similar flavor profile to Big Sky's Moose Drool, and I'm a big fan of that beer.

Heinz57, thanks! Amazing, because Moose Drool is one of my favorite brown ales! I didn't mention it because I really wasn't sure how many people have ever tried it or even heard of it. I like Sam A Brown and Sam Smith Nut Brown too. Brown ales are not my favorite style but I like different styles occassionally. Any other good Brown Ales out there? Newcastle is ok but not worth the $ IMO.

Yooper, do women really brew beer? You are so sweet to go to all that trouble to make beer to please your husband or boyfriend. I am lucky if I can get my wife to make a hot meal more than once a week! lol

JK!!! We Okies often misuse the word guys with no intended gender. Thanks again for your reply. I'll be more carefull with gender based words. :) Go Redwings! hey! I never seen a hockey game but I am sure there must be lots of women fans whom are drinking choice beer!

Um, yeah. I've also heard rumors that women play hockey and brew beer. I've also heard that Labatt's sponsors women's hockey teams in the US Pond Hockey Finals, and that there is a USA women's team. (USA Hockey paid every single bill that my broken leg incurred- thank goodness!)

But, yes, it's really sweet of women to brew beer to please their men. after all, I'm sure that's what we're here for.!

My favorite brown ale (see my recipe Two Brothers Brown Ale) is made with Essex Ale yeast:

WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast
Flavorful British style yeast. Drier finish than many British ale yeast. Produces slightly fruity and bready character. Good top fermenting yeast strain, is well suited for top cropping (collecting). This yeast is well suited for classic British milds, pale ales, bitters, and stouts. Does not flocculate as much as WLP002 and WLP005. Attenuation: 71-76%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Ideal Fermentation Temperature Range: 66-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

I use WLP002 for my English bitters.

I know you weren't referring to me, but being a guy myself, I assume all users on forums are male (unless their Avatar suggests otherwise). Since you Avatar is of a male hockey player, I naturally assumed you are male. Should've read your sig more carefully (sorry Yooper).

Yooper,

I always assumed that was you in the avatar.;)

Good recommendations in this thread, but for a NE Brown I don't think Windsor or S-04 will go dry enough, save those for the SE Brown. I really would try to use Wyeast 1968 London ESB or WLP002, but if you wanna use dry I made an excellent one with Nottingham...just keep it nice and cool.

Back