Chest freezer glycol system conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusztavkiss

Reaction score
Hi you guys out there :)

I am planning a 2BBL microbrewery, and I have something in my mind about glycol systems. Instead of buying one expensive glycol system do you think a chest freezer would work? Method is:
1 - buy a chest freezer like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frigidaire-Commercial-Chest-Freezer-14-8-Cu-Ft-/371026176471
2 - fill it with glycol
3 - hook up an inlet and outlet tube with a pump, put it through the fermentors jacket

It should be able to keep three 500 liter fermentors under 20 °C (68°F), ad bring down one 500 liter fermentor to around 10-8 °C (50°F). Room temp should stay below 26-28.

How does that sound to you?

A chest freezer does not have enough BTUs. Your better off making a reservoir to hold the glycol and use window AC unit and just submerge the coil in the glycol.

Hi you guys out there :)

I am planning a 2BBL microbrewery, and I have something in my mind about glycol systems. Instead of buying one expensive glycol system do you think a chest freezer would work? Method is:
1 - buy a chest freezer like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frigidaire-Commercial-Chest-Freezer-14-8-Cu-Ft-/371026176471
2 - fill it with glycol
3 - hook up an inlet and outlet tube with a pump, put it through the fermentors jacket

It should be able to keep three 500 liter fermentors under 20 °C (68°F), ad bring down one 500 liter fermentor to around 10-8 °C (50°F). Room temp should stay below 26-28.

How does that sound to you?
Are you familiar with Glycol systems at all, you will not have neither the btu rating or the mechanical transfer available to use a chest freezer to cool the glycol to a level you want to use it

I didn't know BTU but I know kJ. I know 3-500 liter of glycol is not capable of chilling down an entire batch of hot brew. I am asking, is the freezer capable of bringing down the glicol (300l in freezer, ~20l in pipes, 100l in jacket) to working temperature, so that it cools down the fermenter from 20°C to 12°C. What do you mean by "mechanical transfer". I was assuming it is a matter of insulation.

Back