What Brewing this Memorial Day Weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
After over a month of inactivity, ther brewery is up and running again with a double brew weekend. I'll be brewing the bitter on sunday and the smoked porter on monday! These are going to be the first brews in the kegerator!

I'm about to switch over my Amber Cerveza to the secondary to free up my primary for the Russian Imperial Stout I'm cooking up this weekend.

What an addictive hobby. I've brewed the past few weekends and will do more this weekend. Now if only I could be this addicted to exercise.....

Mostly maintenance for me this weekend. Cleaning kegs, racking, etc.

I think I'll try to brew the gaelic ale recipe on the 29th, but not sure yet.

Brewsmith, welcome back to the hobby. ;) :p

Nada again. Caught the flu AND wrenched my back installing the towing wiring under my Sprinter.

That Old Dog has been waiting a long time.

I'm trying to fill my empty kegs so I NEVER run into the problem I just had. Namely NO HOMEBREW!! I know it was shortsighted of me but WTF. I'm doing an IPA on Sat and another house lager on Mon after the parade. :ban:

Going for two more next weekend. Definately brewing on my B-day 6/6/06. Not doing the board's brew tho, thinking of a late Octoberfest, maybe an Imperial Porter.

Big brew weekend for me. I think I'll call it "Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey". A 1.080 all grain belgium style.

I'll be brewing like a monk, and smoking some meat! Can't get any better than that!:mug:

I plan to brew Scottish ale. Not sure if I should do decoction to improve maltiness in this beer.

I brewed on Friday so I could get things ready Sat. to watch all the racing on Sunday. Also smokin a beef brisket on Sun while drinking and watching and drinking and drink...

After a couple of months dealing with plumbing issues I will finally be brewing my octoberfest.
I'll be using steam beer yeast at 66-68 so I may end up with an ale like amber. I'm not sure if I will do much of a lager period with this batch.

Just did another pale last night. Its bubbling away nicely as i type.

It was nice to have a couple people over while I brewed. Even though by the time I pitched the yeast I was rather drunk.

Brewiz said:
I brewed on Friday so I could get things ready Sat. to watch all the racing on Sunday. Also smokin a beef brisket on Sun while drinking and watching and drinking and drink...
Sweet! I'm going to try and get some mountain biking and mulch spreading in before the CC600.

Had to work 13 hours today and have to do the same Sunday. Plan on bottling 10 gals of a weissbier clone on monday. Also need to transfer 10 gals can't brew wife is off thinks it takes to long. OH i do ag is why.

Just checked on the IPA I did yesterday. May have to put on the blowoff hose as it really took off last night. Wasgoing to do a lager Mon but may put it off as I am running out of fridge space. :(

Well, it has been a busy weekend with family in town and a million other things to do. However, I did spend Saturday morning brewing up my first batch of Pumpkin Amber Ale. Yeah I know, it is summer, not fall. But, we had about 6 pounds of pumpkin in the freezer (from last October's halloween party) that my wife wanted to get rid of. So far it smells great and is bubbling away like a madman. I can't wait to see how this one turns out. This is also my first time using US-56. Now for the hard part, waiting it out.

im gonna bottle an english ipa tonite, then drop my apa tommorow, then after a week brew a bitter (as soon as i find some succanant, or rapidura)

Bjorn Borg said:
(as soon as i find some succanant, or rapidura)

:confused:

I'm brewing tomorrow. Looks to be a nice hot day here and I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably throw some chicken on the grill afterwards and chill.

LOL...the wife is gone so I'm gonna get tanked tomorrow. I have a ton of beer I need to drink. ;)

Dude said:
:confused:

I'm brewing hot chicken beer. ;)

mmm sounds good!

rapidura is a dark brazilian cane sugar and sucanat is similar. I gave up on finding invert sugar #2, so these are supposed to be good replacements, thier a b*tch to find too it turns out...

I got a Black Tower English Dark Ale in the fermentor right now and a West Coast Pale Ale in 2nd fermentation and a Blueberry Bock in the frig lagering.

AdIn said:
I plan to brew Scottish ale. Not sure if I should do decoction to improve maltiness in this beer.

A much easier way is to take about 1/2 to 1 gallon of the first runnings and put them in a seperate pot and reduce it at least to half and return it to to main boil.

gibfried said:
Big brew weekend for me. I think I'll call it "Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey". A 1.080 all grain belgium style.
I'll be brewing like a monk, and smoking some meat! Can't get any better than that!:mug:

Um, TMI dude;) . How did the ugly monk turn out? hit your gravity?:rockin:
I racked my comedy of errors belgian golden ale. it's golden!
I brewed an Amber ale on Monday. T*T's!

Taking (took) another weekend off. I need to pony up for a mill and an imersion chiller. I had been borrowing them from a friend for all of the first 6 batches of my HB carreer sofar.

2nd Street Brewery said:
... Definately brewing on my B-day 6/6/06....

DOOD! Same bday here. That is a darn good idea. I'l have to think of something to make for the big 39 coming up for me.
Funny.

Rookie said:
A much easier way is to take about 1/2 to 1 gallon of the first runnings and put them in a seperate pot and reduce it at least to half and return it to to main boil.

To Rookie, I was wondering why would it improve maltinnes? The reason I was not sure about decoction is because this is Scottish ale style and I never read decoction used for this kind of beer. From another point since the style calls for maltinnes - doing decoction would not hurt it. Well, it's done now. The beer is happily bubbling in primary...

Didn't brew anything. Went away for the weekend and then yesterday's brewing day turned into a mowing day! Oh well...gotta get some brewing done soon! Otherwise, I'll be the one with no homebrew!

Brewed a 90 shilling scottish ale on monday, 26 IBU's and a WLP#028. All whole hops. Should be interesting.

Oh yeah, baby...smoking meats and brewing is like beer and pretzels or peanut butter and jelly or popcorn and movies or chocolate and peanut butter or....

anyone?

And no, I didn't brew this weekend, but I did drink quite alot of home brew!

Back