Did my chocolate stout lose its chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Danky

Reaction score
I brewed up the AHS Double Chocolate Stout this weekend. Fermentation just calmed down enoughto take the blow-off tube off and pop in the airlock. The bucket that the drain end of the blow-off was in had quite a bit of sediment that tasted like cocoa powder. Have I lost the Cocoa flavor? The recipe called for 1oz of unsweetened cocoa powder at the last 5min of the boil. I guess I assumed that it would have dissolved in a 5 min boil.
Oh yea, I was fermenting 5 gal in a 5 gal carboy. Thats why I lost so much.

I don't think you get a LOT of chocolate in there anyway. no worries - it's a winner - you will have people saying they don't like dark beer and thy'll come back for more.

Plus - it IS true - 2 months bottle aging and it gets way good . . .IF you can keep it that long!!!

Hows that fat Tire Clone - Mine also got drunk FAST!! Brewing it again in a few days but replacing some extract for DME and then Full boiling it. Will only use .75oz Mt Hood instead of 1oz.

I brewed up the AHS Double Chocolate Stout this weekend. Fermentation just calmed down enoughto take the blow-off tube off and pop in the airlock. The bucket that the drain end of the blow-off was in had quite a bit of sediment that tasted like cocoa powder. Have I lost the Cocoa flavor? The recipe called for 1oz of unsweetened cocoa powder at the last 5min of the boil. I guess I assumed that it would have dissolved in a 5 min boil.
Oh yea, I was fermenting 5 gal in a 5 gal carboy. Thats why I lost so much.

That sediment was not likely cocoa power. It would have dissolved. That sediment was just normal trub that was heavily infuse with the cocoa flavor.

It'll be just fine.

I don't think you get a LOT of chocolate in there anyway. no worries - it's a winner - you will have people saying they don't like dark beer and thy'll come back for more.

Plus - it IS true - 2 months bottle aging and it gets way good . . .IF you can keep it that long!!!

Hows that fat Tire Clone - Mine also got drunk FAST!! Brewing it again in a few days but replacing some extract for DME and then Full boiling it. Will only use .75oz Mt Hood instead of 1oz.

I just bottled the Fat Tire saturday but I tasted the sample I took for the hydro and I am ery pleased. After about a month it will be hard to keep y hands off of

I have a question about the AHS Double Chocolate Stout. I just received my partial mash kit in the mail. I want to do it as a full boil but the instructions are for a partial boil. Should I increase the sparge water and mash water to about 3 gallons each so when it reduces in the boil i end up with 5 gallons? How else would I go about doing a full boil?

I have a question about the AHS Double Chocolate Stout. I just received my partial mash kit in the mail. I want to do it as a full boil but the instructions are for a partial boil. Should I increase the sparge water and mash water to about 3 gallons each so when it reduces in the boil i end up with 5 gallons? How else would I go about doing a full boil?

Don't they have the instructions for a full boil, too? I thought they had added them. Anyway, you want to mash the grain first. A good rule of thumb is 1.25 quarts per pound of grain at 153 for one hour. Then sparge with up to .5 gallons of water per pound until you either reach your volume or use up that much water. You can then top up with water to get to your boil volume. You may want to post your recipe in the recipe forum, so we can take a look and see if you need to adjust your hopping. Usually, you need to reduce your bittering hops about 25% in a full boil, due to the higher hops utilization.

Back