Did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Church

Reaction score
Transfering my Imperial Stout into the secondary a small amount of water from the airlock splashed into the bucket...by small amount I mean that I stopped tipping it (by accident) as soon as I heard a noise. Now I have some activity in my Secondary. It was in the Primary for 5 days when I transferred it. I had to do it a bit early because I am away a few days this week. Am I just getting more fermentation or did I contaminate it...

Tom

Tom Church said:
Transfering my Imperial Stout into the secondary a small amount of water from the airlock splashed into the bucket...by small amount I mean that I stopped tipping it (by accident) as soon as I heard a noise. Now I have some activity in my Secondary. It was in the Primary for 5 days when I transferred it. I had to do it a bit early because I am away a few days this week. Am I just getting more fermentation or did I contaminate it...

Tom

Imperial Stouts have a high OG, so more fermentation doesn't sound unusual. Then maybe you are just getting some bubbles of CO2 coming out of solution, due to the movement and agitation from racking over. They should subside soon. The bubbles are actually good. The CO2 coming out of solution will blanket the top of your beer and protect it.

While water from the airlock getting into the secondary isn't what you want, I doubt your brew will suffer any ill affects.

Tom I want you to think about something. Of ALL the things that can happen, and there is a Sh*t load of things that can happen to screw things up ok. Of ALL the things that happen you, you get a little water from the airlock in the secondary. You are doing an INCREDIBLE JOB. I mean my first batch... man... I did this wrong and that wrong and some more stuff wrong and it still turned out great.

In short... drink more, think less. Stout is an icrecible beer to start with in my opinion. Do a search on haze and you'll see a hell of a lot of first brewers worried about the haze in the beer they just made:)

Again! Great job:ban: It will come out better then you expect:mug:

Tom, I think you will be o.k. Even if you had Idaphor etc. in the airlock, the ppm should not kill the yeast. However, a small suggestion, if you use 180 proof Vodka etc. in your airlock, it would never be a threat.

Sneaky

An imperial will take more than five days to ferment, so you're fine. A little clean water in the fermenter isn't a problem.

Latest posts

Back