Wort to thick for racking cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
Today brewed up Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat clone. And after I cooled it the work was to thick for my auto siphon. I had to use it as a pump to get in to my fermenting bucket. Anybody else have this problem? Here's a ingredient list.
3.3# wheat liquid malt extract
3# extra light DME
1# 2-Row brewers malt
1oz Coriander
1 tsp Irish Moss
1.5 oz Galena hops
4oz Blueberry extract

cheesehed007 said:
Today brewed up Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat clone. And after I cooled it the work was to thick for my auto siphon. I had to use it as a pump to get in to my fermenting bucket. Anybody else have this problem? Here's a ingredient list.
3.3# wheat liquid malt extract
3# extra light DME
1# 2-Row brewers malt
1oz Coriander
1 tsp Irish Moss
1.5 oz Galena hops
4oz Blueberry extract

How much did you boil off to be that thick?

You probably just plugged it up with hops or break matierial. If it was so thick you coudn't siphon it, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Did you take a gravity reading?

duboman said:
How much did you boil off to be that thick?

Started with 2.5 gal. Ended up at 2 gal. This is only my 4th brew but I've never had this happen before. I figure most of it will settle out in the fermenter bucket.

BBL_Brewer said:
You probably just plugged it up with hops or break matierial. If it was so thick you coudn't siphon it, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Did you take a gravity reading?

OG was 1.052. The kit was one my LHBS had put together. The recipe sheet listed no expected OG. The steps were pretty straight forward.
Steep grains 30 min @ 160-170
Bring to boil remove from heat add DME and LME ( I added 1/2 of each) add hops
Boil 60 min
At 15 left add Irish moss ( added other 1/2 of DME and LME)
At 10 min left add coriander.
Not sure what I could have messed up.

Was the vessel you were transferring "to" lower than the one you were transferring "from"?

Maybe a silly question, but just to eliminate all potential problems...

BikeAndBrew said:
Was the vessel you were transferring "to" lower than the one you were transferring "from"?

Maybe a silly question, but just to eliminate all potential problems...

Yep boil kettle in sink, bucket on floor. Maybe I should have let it awhile, but I had get to work. The temp was under 80 and I had my make up water sitting in the garage so it was cool. Pitched yeast at about 66.

If it was cooled already, no need to siphon it. Pour it into the fermenter, it will help aerate the wort. If you get any trub into the fermenter, it'll just precipitate out.

Cyclman said:
If it was cooled already, no need to siphon it. Pour it into the fermenter, it will help aerate the wort. If you get any trub into the fermenter, it'll just precipitate out.

Thanks, I'll remember that for next time..

Back