I.P.A fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3tract

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started my very first brew. I decided to start with an I.P.A as that is my drink of choice.

I purchased the following kit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RYQHXC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I decides not to start from scratch with a mash as I want to get the hang of things first.

The instructions received in my kit stated that I should ferment in the first container for 5 days (of which I'm currently at day 4) and then transfer to a pressure keg for 2 days before drinking or bottling.

Having read up on brewing for a bit this seems like a really short time. Is that correct? Or is it because I'm using a kit that this is actually the case and the timescales are correct?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm a bit confused now. I have a hydrometer so can take readings.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
That's way short. I typically keep IPAs in the primary fermenter for 3-5 weeks. Minimum of 3 weeks and then get to it when I get a chance. Many discussions on whether to ferment in primary then transfer to a secondary.personally I just do a primary. Never had a problem with that. Produce excellent beers. At least in my opinion. Good luck.

That's a "kit and a kilo" kit? The no-boil, add a kg of extra fermentables, and then add yeast type of kit?

If so, then I'd let it sit 10-14 days before bottling (or putting in the pressure barrel).

One of the things that concerns me about those type of kits is that they often have you ferment way too warm (often above 20C) so it goes faster, but it causes some unpleasant flavors. Letting it sit longer may help that out.

I agree. I usually primary for 2-3 weeks then keg or bottle. Big beers maybe 4 weeks. I only ever secondary for spice or flavor additions. I think you can wait another 10 days then rack to bottling bucket. Hope this helps.

A great "rule" to know is that letting your beer sit longer is basically never a bad thing. Not letting the beer sit long enough is almost always a bad thing. When in doubt, let it sit.

That's a "kit and a kilo" kit? The no-boil, add a kg of extra fermentables, and then add yeast type of kit?

If so, then I'd let it sit 10-14 days before bottling (or putting in the pressure barrel).

One of the things that concerns me about those type of kits is that they often have you ferment way too warm (often above 20C) so it goes faster, but it causes some unpleasant flavors. Letting it sit longer may help that out.
Yes, that's right. I've been fermenting it at around 18C, should that be ok? I'll do as you say and leave it for another week or two and then do a daily hydrometer test.

Thanks all for the advice. :)

Yes, that's right. I've been fermenting it at around 18C, should that be ok? I'll do as you say and leave it for another week or two and then do a daily hydrometer test.

Thanks all for the advice. :)

You don't have to do it daily- take one. And then a few days later, take another. When they match, and the beer is fairly clear (no major "floaties"), the it's ready to bottle.

18C is perfect!

Back