7cu ft freezer sale starting tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I've gained 15 pounds over the course of year, so I guess I'm drinking my fair share. Luckily I felt I was 5-10 lbs UNDERweight when I started, so I'm not too portly these days, though I did just put on a pair of pants that don't fit anymore :p

Now you're just pissin me off skinny boy :mug:

jbaysurfer said:
I am not only not sure, I just realized, this is a Magic Chef 7 and I have a GE 7.

Since I bought for this exact price in an HD store last year during this week, I assumed it was the same. Thanks for clarifying, and sorry if I misled anyone.

FTR, my GE 7.0 has a 28" diagonal and fits 2 better bottle carboys perfectly:

Yeah my math was off a little (it was quick math) but after redoing it with coordinate geometry the magic chef still won't hold a 6.5 and a 5 gallon carboys which is what I figure I need. So I'm gonna have to get the ge too. Problem is that now it's selling for 230. May have to just bite the bullet.

Yeah my math was off a little (it was quick math) but after redoing it with coordinate geometry the magic chef still won't hold a 6.5 and a 5 gallon carboys which is what I figure I need. So I'm gonna have to get the ge too. Problem is that now it's selling for 230. May have to just bite the bullet.

Or build a collar. You can easily fit 2 6.5s in there with that and maybe a little kickstand/support for the part of carboy that's hanging off the hump?

LOL @ "Skinny boy" above!!!!

Thanks for the heads-up OP. I scored one of these assuming that only 3 kegs would fit but very pleasantly surprised to fit 4 on the floor. Now I just need a lot of new gas hardware. To those worried about size and getting it home, I took this home in my station wagon, in the box.

jAIsR.jpg

for anyone thinking about getting this, to show it fits 4 on the floor. i think i measured 18" to top on the hump... so i need at least a 4" collar to fit my 10# co2 tank inside.

for anyone thinking about getting this, to show it fits 4 on the floor. i think i measured 18" to top on the hump... so i need at least a 4" collar to fit my 10# co2 tank inside.

I have a 20# CO2 tank in mine at the moment. It doesn't have the big carrying handle though. Guess that's why it fits. I'll take a pic and put it here in a few minutes.

Or build a collar. You can easily fit 2 6.5s in there with that and maybe a little kickstand/support for the part of carboy that's hanging off the hump?

LOL @ "Skinny boy" above!!!!

Glad I could brighten your day. I know guys who can eat and drink anything they want and never gain a pound. I would be as big as the moon.

I have a 20# CO2 tank in mine at the moment. It doesn't have the big carrying handle though. Guess that's why it fits. I'll take a pic and put it here in a few minutes.

Do you use your own CO2 tank or an exchange tank? I was going to just use exchange tanks, but buying the right one could be the difference in storage capacity.

Do you use your own CO2 tank or an exchange tank? I was going to just use exchange tanks, but buying the right one could be the difference in storage capacity.

Exchange. I've had two of them, identical. You can see it in the pic below. That's the 7 cu.ft. Magic Chef that we are talking about. 4 ball locks do sit in there nicely, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do as soon as I get a collar built and also get a 5# CO2 tank.

2012-11-15-at-142821-57243.jpg

Anybody know if this sucker will fit two 6.5 gallon carboys? I'm really hoping it will...

I have one that I bought (from a person on HBT) that's aluminum. No way [in hell] would I exchange it UNLESS I was 100% guaranteed to get an aluminum tank back. The weight difference is my concern. The 20# aluminum is heavy enough when full, can only imagine the weight of a full steel tank. :eek:

I have one that I bought (from a person on HBT) that's aluminum. No way [in hell] would I exchange it UNLESS I was 100% guaranteed to get an aluminum tank back. The weight difference is my concern. The 20# aluminum is heavy enough when full, can only imagine the weight of a full steel tank. :eek:

Yeah, I hear ya. That is why I did not buy a tank. Some places will not fill them now w/o pressure test certification. I'll just do the exchange for now.

Side note: Back in about 1996, I took my small 2.5lb aluminum tank for a refill and the guy filled it with 5lbs (I did not know he did that). I put it on the floor behind the driver's seat and on the way home it kept hissing. Then...all of a sudden a loud hissing/gushing sound and my car filled with CO2 and the windows all fogged. The safety valve blew out. Luckily, I was in the left lane of a 4-lane road with a 45 MPH speed. I could not see nor breath and I was able to get into the center turning lane and get out. It took me a couple of hours to breathe normally. When I got home, I notice that my receipt said filled with 5# of CO2. The tank clearly said 2.5 on it. I did manage to get a free refill and a free regulator out of the deal, but it scared the ****e out of me.

There's a place, a few towns over from where I am now, that fills up tanks with valid hydro stamps. Since those are good for 5 years, it's not [normally] much of an issue. Even if you do a swap when the stamp is no good, or get it certified again (less than the cost difference I believe) you're still often better off. I have at least a few more years on the tank I have. When it's empty, if it's outside of the hydro date, I'll either get it tested and stamped again, or swap it out for a newer one with a good stamp on it. As long as I get an aluminum tank back that is.

I need to get my 2.5# tank filled soon. Hope to run out my 5# tank before I do so that I can get both filled at the same time. :D

OK beer freaks, some of you were bragging about getting a 5.0 cu ft freezer into your Prius. Well I have now confirmed that you can easily get two 7.0 cu ft freezers into a Tahoe. But, I only got 17 MPG on my 3.0 mile round trip to HD. Oh, one more thing...these freezers weigh nothing. I unloaded it by myself.

DSC_0190.jpg

OK beer freaks, some of you were bragging about getting a 5.0 cu ft freezer into your Prius. Well I have now confirmed that you can easily get two 7.0 cu ft freezers into a Tahoe. But, I only got 17 MPH on my 3.0 mile round trip to HD. Oh, one more thing...these freezers weigh nothing. I unloaded it by myself.

MPH or MPG???

Bought one of these and played with the thermostat. Just thought I'd let people know that using the adjustment technique from this thread I was able to get the stock thermostat to hold temps a few degrees above freezing. Had to crank it all the way in clockwise. It took a lot of turns, and stopped firmly when I hit the bottom, so just keep spinning the screw until you can't any more.

It may end up too cold for my taste... I'll have to assess that later and maybe get a controller.

Bought one of these and played with the thermostat. Just thought I'd let people know that using the adjustment technique from this thread I was able to get the stock thermostat to hold temps a few degrees above freezing. Had to crank it all the way in clockwise. It took a lot of turns, and stopped firmly when I hit the bottom, so just keep spinning the screw until you can't any more.

It may end up too cold for my taste... I'll have to assess that later and maybe get a controller.

So here is something I haven't given a lot of thought to. What are most of you setting this knob to when you use an external thermostat? I have two STC-1000 controllers I bought from Amazon for $49 coming.

limulus said:
So here is something I haven't given a lot of thought to. What are most of you setting this knob to when you use an external thermostat? I have two STC-1000 controllers I bought from Amazon for $49 coming.

As I understand it, it really shouldn't matter what the knob is set too. As its "parameters" will be overridden with an external thermostat.

I just picked up a chest freezer for $158+tax. Not the one here, but Menard's has their house brand 7 cu ft model for the same price until Dec 2.

I have been planning to do a bunch of lagers over the next couple months, with the first to go into lagering today or tomorrow. Around 1am this morning, I woke up and realized that it's not nearly cold enough to just let ambient garage temperatures do the lagering or hold a good fermentation temperature for the next batch. Panicked, I scoured the internet and found this deal, but went to bed thinking I was screwed because there's no way my wife would go for me buying another fridge for brewing so soon after putting together a temp controller for the refrigerator in our garage... Plus, we only have one outlet out there and it's already loaded to the limit of my comfort.

Anyway, when I woke up, I mentioned the freezer idly and she lit up and was not only going to put up with buying it, she was excited about it and volunteered that we could put it in the living room if we need to. (We ended up putting it in a study/storage room instead.)

There's a catch, though. If our other "homebrewing" projects go according to our hopes, the freezer is only mine for 9-10 more months, at which time its primary role will transition to breast milk storage...... I'll just leave it at that.

But for now, I think I'm going to switch the temp regulator over to the freezer and lager in the garage at its coldest setting. It looks like I can fit a couple carboys in this one, possibly even with airlocks without having to go to the trouble of building a collar.

The safety valve blew out. Luckily, I was in the left lane of a 4-lane road with a 45 MPH speed. I could not see nor breath and I was able to get into the center turning lane and get out. It took me a couple of hours to breathe normally.

Holy cow, you are lucky not to have blacked out. It only takes a couple breaths of oxygen-depleted "air" to cause a blackout. It's a major safety concern in labs... I'd say even at 45 mph, blacking out would be a problem! Glad your story ended with you posting about it on the Internet many years later!

Holy cow, you are lucky not to have blacked out. It only takes a couple breaths of oxygen-depleted "air" to cause a blackout. It's a major safety concern in labs... I'd say even at 45 mph, blacking out would be a problem! Glad your story ended with you posting about it on the Internet many years later!

Yeah, it's something I'll never forget. I'm just glad my daughter was not in there at the time. She's 20 now and a Junior at the university and I'm proud to say she'll be attending Oxford University in England next year.

Anyway, when I woke up, I mentioned the freezer idly and she lit up and was not only going to put up with buying it, she was excited about it and volunteered that we could put it in the living room if we need to.

Hmmm, very suspicious. Watch out for retaliatory spending. She's up to something.

WRT baby, get all the building and brewing and spending done before the baby arrives. Not only will your hobby time and budget shrink appreciably, her tolerance for your little hobbies will shrink as well.

Also, I built a collar for mine in about 2 hours. Not too hard. Just made it last night and caulked it into the freezer today. Breeze.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm well aware of this. The hypothetical milk consumer would be our third... :)

As long as I make her a stout every few brews, she's happy to support the hobby!

:mug:

Thanks for the tips, but I'm well aware of this. The hypothetical milk consumer would be our third... :)

As long as I make her a stout every few brews, she's happy to support the hobby!

:mug:

Well, my first daughter was Lactose intolerant. We used soy milk for her...no refrigeration needed :mug:

Well, my first daughter was Lactose intolerant. We used soy milk for her...no refrigeration needed :mug:

:mug: Our first is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, and nuts. My poor but devoted wife cut all those out of her own diet until he weaned!

Purchased one of the HMCF7W from Home Depot the other day. It has been plugged in, set to "7" and the lights are on. I can here a low hum but it is not cooling at all. I suppose I will try to exchange it which is a pain since I have to borrow a truck from someone as it wont fit in my car.

Anyone have any trouble with theirs?

has anyone ordered a kegerator kit for one of these yet? I've been eyeballing Keg Cowboy & Keg Connections. They're both pretty convenient for upgrades since I already have my kegs and CO2 tank/regulator. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck...

I ordered a 4 tap system from KegConnection. It was a fair price and it came quickly.

Ordered a 2 tap, dual reg system from kegcowboy yesterday. Will be expanding to 4 later. Keg connection seemed to be a little bit higher in price when I was looking on my phone.

has anyone ordered a kegerator kit for one of these yet? I've been eyeballing Keg Cowboy & Keg Connections. They're both pretty convenient for upgrades since I already have my kegs and CO2 tank/regulator. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck...

I ordered my setup last year and just checked my invoice, i paid $337 in June 2011 for the 4 keg complete kit from Midwest supplies and upgraded to a 10# tank ($30 of that was shipping). I shopped around for quite awhile looking for the best deal. It looks like the price went way up, but it still looks like midwest is cheaper than most...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-quadruple-tap-draft-system-with-4-way-gas-manifold.html

I've been piecing together everything I need for 4 taps with all of the various sites. I finally bit the bullet and ended up with Keg Connection, with 4 taps, upgraded to Perlick 575s (I wanted the 525s but they were sold out) and it all came out to approx 350. I already have my kegs, CO2 tank, and regulator. I'll have to sell the included regulator once it come in. STOKED!

Is anyone else using the STC-1000 to regulate the temp while used as a keezer? I do not plan on hooking up a heat source I just want to keep it at a good serving temp. Or have you just adjusted the temp controller built into the unit? I will be picking mine up tonight and have the STC on order from a US ebay seller for $23. Also bought the two port setup from keg connection today since it was on sale for the black Friday weekend. So I will start my build next weekend.

I'm using the STC-1000 with the freezer I bought. I built a box similar to the one that Revvy describes somewhere (which he built based on someone else's design --- search the site for it), but without the always-on outlet. All parts considered (and I had to buy everything, including wires), it was about $75 for the box, I think.

I'm using it to hold lager fermentation temperatures at about 50°F. I've got a small ceramic space heater inside just in case it needs to warm up, but at the moment there's no need for that.

I don't think there's any way to hold a fridge like this at a beer serving temp without a temperature controller. You could do this by taking over the compressor directly rather than using a line power relay like the STC-1000, but it's essentially the same thing.

J-Pizzel said:

I started my kegging adventures with a two tap system from Keg Cowboy when they were still in Houston. You can go all out and get everything you'll ever need for your keezer, but I went kind of barebones and now have a four tap (+1 in reserve) keezer with dual body regulator and all 525ss faucets. It's always fun to add more bling to your keezer. :)

J-Pizzel said:
I'll have to sell the included regulator once it come in.

How much are you thinking? I'm looking for a spare for a mobile dispensing system. Also, I'm sure there are a bunch of kegging newbies here that might be interested.

orion7144 said:
Is anyone else using the STC-1000 to regulate the temp while used as a keezer? I do not plan on hooking up a heat source I just want to keep it at a good serving temp. Or have you just adjusted the temp controller built into the unit? I will be picking mine up tonight and have the STC on order from a US ebay seller for $23. Also bought the two port setup from keg connection today since it was on sale for the black Friday weekend. So I will start my build next weekend.

Just make sure you use good wires (14Awg or better). In the STC-1000 build thread, the experts say with the current a freezer can draw may be too great for 16 or smaller. Just an FYI.

Back