Which immersion chiller for keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chhc10

Reaction score
In the market for an immersion chiller whirlpool from morebeer.com

I use a converted 15.5 keg with a false bottom for the boil and usually do 6 gallon batches but plan on doing more 12 gal batches in the future. I want to add the whirlpool feature with a pump to the immersion chiller but I am torn between these 2 models.

1) http://morebeer.com/view_product/19523/102204/Wort_Chiller_-_SuperChiller_-_The_5_10_Split

This is the largest IC they have and I can add the whirlpool feature with a zip tie for 15 bucks plus fittings.

2) https://morebeer.com/view_product/11905/102204/Wort_Chiller_-_SuperChiller_with_Recirculation

This one is a tad smaller but has the recirculation arm soldered directly and has fittings on the arm.

I know I am being a bit nit picky but what do you guys think? Plan on ordering later tonight.

I like this model better: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stai...ort-chiller-w-garden-hose-fittings-50-ft.html

I went with a stainless steel immersion chiller after my copper one got ruined, and I absolutely love it...easier to clean and I dont have to worry about copper leaching in my beer. I read that stainless steel is 15% less efficient compared to copper, but the extra minute was ok with me for something that will last forever!

Just my $0.02

I would definetly get one with whirlpool/recirc capability. I wouldn't worry about the soldered peice, go for big and teach yourself how to solder, its easy, twenty bucks at lowes and a few minutes on youtube and you'll have it nailed. If I can do it, anyone can

I went with the 5/10 split and I am going to solder the arm myself. I had a plate chiller but could never really get it clean. Baking, boil, CIP, etc... Thanks for the help!

Does anyone really see an improvement going from 1/4" tubing to 1/2" tubing? My 25' IC cools 10 gallons in about 10 minutes and it's only 1/4" tubing.

I would not buy this online. They are very easy to make yourself. I used 1/4" copper tubing i bought from Lowes and made the coil shape around a concrete form. I then used quick disconnect couplings to attach my hoses. All in all it was ~$50 if i remember correctly. I can chill my wort in less than 10 minutes when running the inlet through an ice bath.

How do the immersion chillers recirculate or cause whirlpool? I don't understand this.

J311gonzo said:
How do the immersion chillers recirculate or cause whirlpool? I don't understand this.

Mine doesn't. So I swirl very gently. I guess the principle is the hot wort will be drawn to the cold copper and cool down.

You have to plumb in a pump--the chillers just have a nozzle attached so that the jet of wort is positioned properly to create a vortex/whirlpool in the kettle. Is it worth paying extra money for? I guess that's a personal thing. I plumbed my kettle to whirlpool whether or not there's an IC involved.

I have the 5-10 split and it works great.
I don't whirlpool, never did. Copper cleans up nicely in a bucket of star san.

Not to hijack a thread, but my question is very similar...

How about the MoreBeer 5/10 split vs NY Brew supplly 1/2" x 50' ?

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-copper-immersion.php#c1250

With Morebeer's free shipping they come out nearly the same price for me.

It'll be used in a keggle, and am trying to plan for both 5 and 10 gallon batches, but I plan to plumb the keggle with whirlpool fittings if I ever can afford a pump... so I'm not concerned about getting a IC with the whirlpool outlet built in.

I'm just not sure if the 'split' feature really adds anything..?

I have the B3 Chiller with the recirc arm and I love it!! The whirlpool action works ok. I figure if it is good enough for Jamil than it is good enough for me!!

Phunhog....off topic but regarding your Two Trees Brewing Co....I remember when it was 5 tress and we hiked there as kids all the time.

Not to hijack a thread, but my question is very similar...

How about the MoreBeer 5/10 split vs NY Brew supplly 1/2" x 50' ?

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-copper-immersion.php#c1250

With Morebeer's free shipping they come out nearly the same price for me.

It'll be used in a keggle, and am trying to plan for both 5 and 10 gallon batches, but I plan to plumb the keggle with whirlpool fittings if I ever can afford a pump... so I'm not concerned about getting a IC with the whirlpool outlet built in.

I'm just not sure if the 'split' feature really adds anything..?
I don't see how the "split" would help at all. :confused:

Phunhog....off topic but regarding your Two Trees Brewing Co....I remember when it was 5 tress and we hiked there as kids all the time.

Cool!! One of the nice things about naming the brewery "Two Trees" is that all the locals, past and present, "get it". Cheers! Al

Back