Cooler is too small for 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinch

Reaction score
On my last brew day I discovered that my cooler (10 gallon) was too small for a 10 gallon batch (30 lb grain bill). I hoping that everything turns out, the gravity didn't get as low as I would have liked but... Anyhow, moving forward, could I just split the grain in half and do 2 mashes? I'm not ready to spring for a huge mamma jamma cooler just yet but I want to continue doing 10 gallon batches.

Add extract to the boil if your OG isn't as high as you want it. I always keep 3-5lbs of DME in the freezer for these sorts of situations.

Great website to use to check and see if you'll have enough room. You can always mash thicker in order to get more grain in there. It's the water that really takes up the space and not as much the grain once it's good and saturated.
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

the original gravity was okay about 1.06 but since the cooler was too small the mashing process was a mess and I might have mashed at too high of a temp or something. I'll just say that once it was discovered that the cooler could not hold all the grain, it got messy. Had to drain out a gallon or two to get the grain to fit. The final gravity ended up at 1.024. I did use liquid yeast but no starter and that could have been another problem?
Anyhow my main question, for this thread anyhow, is would it be possible to do the process of mash twice, boil once?

wow, that is a lot of grain for 10G of beer. I just had a 19.5lb grain bill for 10G of 1.057 beer and that would fit easy in a 10G cooler. Was this a big beer?

Edit, I see your gravity was ~ 1.060

Or, since you are determined to brew 12G batches of big grain bill brews, get a bigger cooler. I just bought a 120quart Max from Wally'smart for $49-tag said $52, but shelf said $49. Still, $52 is not a bad price for that much capacity and insulation(since HD sells their 10G (40quart) round for $40, or split the batch and be unhappy with the extra work.

I just can't imagine how you didn't see the trouble coming, though. :confused:

To answer your question:

could I just split the grain in half and do 2 mashes?

Sure you can. Most breweries use multiple mashes to fill the kettle. That is why they have separate mash and lauter tuns so they can get the next mash going while they sparge the last one.

You can take gravity readings after the first mash and adjust as needed. Just like they do.

Or, since you are determined to brew 12G batches of big grain bill brews, get a bigger cooler. I just bought a 120quart Max from Wally'smart for $49-tag said $52, but shelf said $49. Still, $52 is not a bad price for that much capacity and insulation(since HD sells their 10G (40quart) round for $40, or split the batch and be unhappy with the extra work.

again, I don't have the cash to spring for a bigger cooler.

I just can't imagine how you didn't see the trouble coming, though. :confused:
I'm fairly new to all grain brewing, thanks for your intrigue though.

Never mock another man's brewery.

To answer your question:

Sure you can. Most breweries use multiple mashes to fill the kettle. That is why they have separate mash and lauter tuns so they can get the next mash going while they sparge the last one.

You can take gravity readings after the first mash and adjust as needed. Just like they do.

Awesome, I don't mind the extra time it will take. It will be worth it! Someday I'll get a bigger cooler but until then... :cross:

Back