custom false bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best design for the standoffs under the FB?
I have read that some use SS screws and a couple nuts, some use upside down triangular shapes welded underneath...

If you could build it any way, what would you do?

On my new MT, I have a bottom drain near one of the sidewalls.
Thanks for any ideas...

In a keggle, FB's properly sized don't need anything underneath for support. I used a SS nut & bolt for a handle on one side to help lift it out since it fits edge to edge. If you are not using a keggle just get bolts with 2 nuts each that fit the holes and the process will take a few minutes to fit the feet !

You're right, Bobby. Flat bottom, 25" diameter. I have a welder (friend) and a sheet of 3/32 on the 5/32 perforated on McMaster-Carr lined up. Just wanted to see what folks thought of the standoffs.

So, you're suggesting just the nuts? I was going to go with 1" off the bottom, so I may have to use some s/s screws tacked to the bottom of the material.

Why would you want it so high off the bottom? That's a lot of um, not deadspace, I'll call it slack space. It's actually 2 gallons worth. If you've got a bottom drain, I'd have the FB sit 1/4" off the bottom.

Yeah, I agree. Put it just far off enough off the bottom of the drain so that the occasional grain bit cannot clog it, like 1/8-1/4". If you're drain's not flush to the bottom (likely), compensate for that.

The drain is absolutely flush to the bottom, and b/c I have a tippy dump, I can actually slope it ever so slightly to the drain as well.

So the least deadspace the better, eh? That seems to be what I'm hearing.

Back