Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver95

Reaction score
What are you guys doing to them before you use it, cleaning with something really mean and nasty?
I am planning on taking it by the welding shop for a 1/2" nipple to be welded on.

I cant seem to find many pics of what people have done to theirs

I would go weldless; it affords you the ability to strip it down and clean it thoroughly as needed and ensures that in the unlikely event that you ruin your threads you are only out a new fitting…… but this is a ford/chevy argument at best

Why do people always pick 1/2 inch instead 3/8? I want to get the false bottom from midwest and the pipe is 3/8 so I figured I would do 3/8s and then get the 3/8s blichman valve. Is this not a good idea?

What the the chances of you stripping the nipple?

Why do people always pick 1/2 inch instead 3/8? I want to get the false bottom from midwest and the pipe is 3/8 so I figured I would do 3/8s and then get the 3/8s blichman valve. Is this not a good idea?

Well I have been known to F@#$ up an anvil so who knows. I guess I need to hit the metal supermarket tomorrow see about making a false bottom

I'd say people go 1/2" because they plan on expanding their system at some point. If you plan to use a march pump they require 1/2" on the inlet side, and you restrict flow on the outlet. It's a one time purchase, and worth a few extra bucks to do it 1/2" the first time around.
For cleaning, Bar Keepers Friend and/or Oxyclean work great and are at your local supermarket. BKF is good for scrubbing crud away and leaving a nice finish, Oxy is good for dissolving the crud, use it with hot water and let it soak.
-Ben

+1 on the oxy.

I use a long handled pot scrubber from the kitchen to get residue off the sides.

Saves your back.

Avoid 3/8 at all cost - they clog way to fast. Looking back I would have used 1" or even 1.5" and stepped down to 1/2 using bushings.

the tube is 3/8in but they sell a 3/8 tube to 1/2in NPT compression fitting.

Back