Tweaking the True Brew IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoharris

Reaction score
I have read quite a few reviews on the True Brew IPA and have heard that its not quite up to par with the hoppy goodness of most IPAs, and the alcohol content seems to be a bit low. I purchased the kit before I read any reviews and want to try to tweak the recipe. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Going by this pic...

85115386.jpg

Looks like 6.6 pounds LME, about a pound of crystal steeping grains and 2 ounces of hops..can't tell which..

what are the instruction calling for in terms of a hopping schedule? Altering it may help...as will dry hopping with some more hops

Ingredients are:
6.6 lbs Malt Extract amber
1 lb Crushed Crystal Row Barley Malt
1 oz. UK Pilgrim Hop Pellets
1 oz. UK First Gold Hop Pellets
1/2 oz. Heavy Toasted Oak Chips

Instructions for hopping are:
add Pilgrim Hops after initial boil with malt extract
then boil 45 min. and add First Gold Hops during final 1-2 minutes of boiling.
Then add oak chips to fermenter.

Thanks

I would say add 2 or 3 lbs. of light DME. Get the gravity up. And add more hops. The pilgrams are 9-13%AA, and the First gold are 4-9% AA. I would add some cascade late in the boil. Maybe try to add the First gold at 20-25 min. and cascade at 10-15 min. It depends on the AA of the 2 hops in the kit. Dry hop an oz or 2 in secondary. Cascade, centennial, simco, chinnook. All are good IPA hops.

I am waiting on my IPA now. to condition.

Thanks
Should I add the DME when I add the 6.6 lbs malt extract, or should I wait until later in the boil?

I would say DME from the beginning. Maybe hlf the LME. Save one can for about 15 left. Doing this will affect the bitterness. I do not think that much. I have done three late extract additions now and I did not have a problem with the flavor afterwards.

Latest posts

Back