Is primary "conditioning" a "super" condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
Something I read here, that I can't find now, indicated this. Though just because I read it, doesn't mean it's true!

Wondering if the extra week in primary (so 3 or 4 total) advances the beer further than that same week conditioning in bottles (no secondary). Is the beer ready faster with a longer primary/shorter bottle time, or is it pretty much the same. Just trying to plan out my bottling schedule for the busy month of September.

Talking specifically about Nottingham yeast with a fairly small beer - 5.5 gallon.

Leaving beer on the yeast after fermentation is "complete" allows the yeast to clear out byproducts. The more yeast available to do that the faster the process.

I may not be the only one, but I've been saying that for a while. I'll brew the same batch twice. First time I'll go three weeks in the fermenter (primary only or primary/secondary, doesn't matter) and it'll take a few weeks or a month after carbonation for the beer to taste as it should. Then I'll brew it and go a month in fermenters and the beer hits it's stride as soon as it's carbonated. Beer just seems to condition faster in bulk than it does in bottles. Doesn't seem to matter if it's all in primary, or you give it an extra week in secondary.

Back