What's the difference between bottle conditioning and bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
If it's best to condition your beer in warmer temperature and not in the fridge...then I'd probably keep them in the same spot as when they were first bottled. So...what's the difference then between bottle conditioning and just regular bottling?

Bottling is the act of putting beer into a bottle.

Bottle conditioning is the act of carbonating your beer in the bottle due to the additional fermentation process that takes place in a sealed bottle.

Bottling is the act of putting beer into a bottle.

Bottle conditioning is the act of carbonating your beer in the bottle due to the additional fermentation process that takes place in a sealed bottle.

Ok...because I read that when you bottle it you should let it sit for a few weeks. Then, to make the beer even better you should CONDITION it for an extra week by either putting it in the fridge or keeping it out.

Ok...because I read that when you bottle it you should let it sit for a few weeks. Then, to make the beer even better you should CONDITION it for an extra week by either putting it in the fridge or keeping it out.

That's someone mis-interpretation of it. Except in the case of lagers where the yeast is active in the cold. For ale yeast, they just go dormant in temps below 55...little conditioning can happen if the guys who are supposed to be doing the job are asleep, right?

That is all considered 'conditioning'. The first few weeks the suspended yeast eats the priming sugar and produces carbonation. That is why you want to leave it at warmer temps to allow the yeast to do it's job.

After that process, storing the bottles at a colder temp causes the suspended yeast to go to sleep and 'fall out' of the beer resulting in a cleaner and clearer beer.

But it is all considered 'conditioning'.

That's someone mis-interpretation of it. Except in the case of lagers where the yeast is active in the cold. For ale yeast, they just go dormant in temps below 55...little conditioning can happen if the guys who are supposed to be doing the job are asleep, right?

That someone is the instructions in the Mr. Beer Brewer's Guide. :D

Word for word...this is what it says:

"After your beer has carbonated it is ready to drink. However, to improve the flavor of your beer even more you may want to condition it. Conditioning will allow your beer's flavor to mature and result in an even better tasting beer. This can be done one of two ways:"

Then goes on to say you can do warm conditioning or cold conditioning.

So yeah, now you can see why I was confused. :rockin:

That someone is the instructions in the Mr. Beer Brewer's Guide. :D

Word for word...this is what it says:

"After your beer has carbonated it is ready to drink. However, to improve the flavor of your beer even more you may want to condition it. Conditioning will allow your beer's flavor to mature and result in an even better tasting beer. This can be done one of two ways:"

Then goes on to say you can do warm conditioning or cold conditioning.

So yeah, now you can see why I was confused. :rockin:

Well, it is from Mr Beer isn't it? :rolleyes: They also say you can bottle after a week too, right?

Well, it is from Mr Beer isn't it? :rolleyes: They also say you can bottle after a week too, right?

Yeah...and being a new brewer, who would argue otherwise after reading the instructions?

It's a good thing I found this forum to get real advice...otherwise I'd be screwed.

Back