Specific Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toivo

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch of BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops (Cream ale). All went well except my SG was 1.052 and his recipe has 1.040. My FG was 1.018 and his is 1.004. I had it in a primary for 2 weeks and then transfered it to a secondary with gelatin to help clear it. I left it in the secondary for 8 days before bottling and the FG never changed from when I transfered it. Temps in the house are around 64 degrees for a average. Question is what would cause the gravity readings to stay high. Also any problems with bottling it where it finished since I bottled yesterday?

could be that your hydrometer is out of calibration. It looks like you are 12-16 points high on both FG and OG. If you have not calibrated your hydrometer, drop it into some distilled water, and verify that it reads 1.000

Mashing at too high of a temp would give you a higher than expected final gravity, and differences in grain bill and efficiency can also skew your original gravity reading.

If you have been at the same FG for 3 days running, bottle away, they are done with the sugars that are already there, and waiting for some priming sugar.

If your yeast has the same attenuation as the yeast used in the reicpe it makes sense that your FG would be off by the same amount as your OG.

I'd guess the hydrometer is way off. Otherwise, you've got a much higher efficiency than Munch AND your thermometer is way off so you had a low-fermentability wort.

Back