American Wheat Beer Number Johnny Five is Alive! (WPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wikipeteia

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1010
Yeast Starter
Not this time
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68
Tasting Notes
Floral, citrusy and wonderfully bitter!
Amount Item
6.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min)
2.00 oz Citrus Peel Cocktail (Boil 5.0 min)

This beer is a play on the drink, Five Alive, which uses five citrus zests. And, as we all know, Johnny Five is most certainly alive.

THE MASH
I used 12.50 qt (3+ gallons for 10lbs of grain) at 170 degrees to get my mash water to 158, and held it there for 45 minutes.

THE SPARGE.
I used 1gal to rinse a bit, and then batch sparged with an additional 2.5 gal for an hour. The boil went as normal.

THE VERDICT.
I put this out for a party at 8PM. My friends devoured it to the point where the keg blew foam at 10:30, and the second keg of a really great Brown Ale had barely been touched.

FOR THE EXTRACT CROWD:
Use 4lbs of Wheat Dry Extract, and 3lbs of Extra Light Dry Extract. That should get you close.

FOR THE CITRUS ZEST COCKTAIL
I used the following:

40% Orange
20% Grapefruit
15% Lime
15% Lemon
10% Tangerine.

Orange and Tangerine are similar, I admit. There is little taste difference, and the lime and lemon get lost a bit in the final product. But, the 70% orange/grapefruit flavor fits well with the Cascade hops, and the overall flavor. You feel free to mess around as you'd see fit -- the flavor of more lemon/lime I would bet could make a fantastic WPA.

Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back