First Raspberry Wheat <- really really red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I've had raspberry wheat ales before. All have had no more than a minor red tint to them. I've always enjoyed them so my first wheat ale was going to be a raspberry wheat. I've seen a lot of recipes that called for 6+ lbs of fresh or frozen raspberries or some amount of raspberry extract. I decided I just wanted a tiny hint of raspberry so I used only 1lbs frozen. I made this batch 3 days ago and I am amazed at how red the beer is. I mean my fermenter is only somewhat transparent so I cannot see its true color but it appears to be extremely red.

I only used 1lbs of berries, any chance the yeast or conditioning will mellow the color?

Would having used raspberry extract resulted in less impact in color as opposed to having used real fruit?

Yes - extract is trypically pretty clear, and even then - you only put an ounce or two in it per 5 gallon batch.

Using fresh fruit with a distinctive color juice like raspberry will absolutely change your beer.

Strawberries, however, do not leach color at all for some reason.

+1 for pathlength

It looks more red because light has more beer to go through to get to your eye. Same reason why beer always looks darker in carboys than it does in your glass.

Duh...that didn't even dawn on me.

Thanks for the info everyone

Took a gravity sample last night and sure enough the beer only had a hint of red.

Thanks again.

Back