Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some info about Amarillo hops. Patented and only grown by Virgil Gamache Farms in the Yakima Valley. The Gamache website says this: "Early harvest produces an Amarillo® characterized by flavors of candy and lemon. Middle harvest offers classic grapefruit, orange, floral and tropical fruit notes. Late harvest yields a mixture of garlic and onion, for a “dank” attitude." Garlic and onion is something I've never associated with Amarillo hops. I'm wondering if the combination of a late harvest and exposure to heavy wildfire smoke all summer explains the ashtray flavor my friend identified.

I have a love/hate relationship with Simcoe. If its used in the boil it just tastes like onions to me. Dry hop its pretty good. But when I read a label and it says Simcoe I generally just put the bottle down and back away.

When it comes to onion/garlic, I abhor that character. Some hops are worse than others, sometimes it's using the right lot/crop year the right way. Unfortunately buying from a LHBS knowing the lot/crop year is all but impossible.

Ahtanum hops taste like a tomato plant smells to me. I don't like it at all. I actually poured out a 5 gallon batch of beer it was so awful.

Back