PEX Pipe For Wort Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterthews

Reaction score
Would PEX pipe be safe to use as a wort chiller? I am thinking about trying it out as it seems pretty cheap. I can get 1/2" x 100' of pipe for about 20 bucks. Would this work or would it leach some sort of plasticly flavor or chemicals into the wort?

Thanks

For an immersion chiller??? No no no you need something that will be able to transfer the heat to the water. PEX won't do that.

There was talk on here about someone using pex in a counter flow chiller. But even then they were having issues coiling it tight enough to make it useful

Would PEX pipe be safe to use as a wort chiller? I am thinking about trying it out as it seems pretty cheap. I can get 1/2" x 100' of pipe for about 20 bucks. Would this work or would it leach some sort of plasticly flavor or chemicals into the wort?

Thanks

You should check to see what grade of pex it is before buying. For $20 I'm going to guess that it's C grade which isn't as good as A or B. C grade usually splits down the sides after time.

Back