Keg storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpatkinson

Reaction score
I'm about to keg two batches, however, my kegerator is not yet complete. What is the best way to store the uncarbonated kegged beer while I finish the retrofit?

Colder the better. Ideally, a fridge if you have one and you can lager it while you finish the kegerator. If you have the CO2 setup already, I would flush the keg and get it under pressure as well so it'll be ready to go once the kegerator is complete.

I usually just sugar prime the batches I wouldn't get to right away. Keep them store room temp just like you would bottles.

After I fill and purge my kegs, I simply put them in the basement. As long as the temperature isn't ignorant high, then the beer should be fine. In fact, think of the keg as a secondary. My pipeline allows me to have several kegs (conditioning) for up to several months. I wouldn't go crazy and leave them there for years, but months is fine. As a general rule, the longer the conditioning time (with maybe the exception of some wheats or IPAs), the better the brew.

Purge the air from the kegs and store them someplace cool. I store mine in the house at about 75-degrees F. and I haven't had any problems.

Depending on how long of a wait it is, you could prime with sugar, seal them up, and let them carb naturally while you finish the kegerator. Lots of people with smaller capacity keezers/kegerators do that to keep the pipeline full.

Back