First Berliner Weisse too light - blend with stronger batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emory

Reaction score
I brewed about 2.5 gallons of berliner weisse (first sour attempt) 3 weeks ago using the whitelabs berliner weisse platinum series. I attempted to hit a fairly traditional target of around 3-4% (SG of about 1.030 and down to 1.004) but I find the fermenter sample is way too light and tastes a bit like lemonade. I'd like the beer to be stronger. So, I am considering brewing another 2.5 gallons at 1.060, pitching a starter of consecration dregs I made last weekend, and racking the berliner on top.

Should I just brew a separate second batch and let the first ride? I'm looking for a strong sour character and don't know if there is enough left in the berliner to take it there.

Sounds good. I'll let it ride and just brew for the consecration dregs.

not a good idea to brew-to-blend. either drink or dump is best

While I agree that I would just let your current batch sit, I couldnt disagree more with this quote, I really feel the only way to make outstanding sours is to blend

To the OP, a bweiss can often remind people of lemonade, its very light and tart, once its carbed the co2 will help it feel a bit fuller

After 3 weeks I had next to no sourness really. After 3 months it is a completely different beast. Give it time!

Also, berlinder like ryane said is a very light beer. Don't expect much until you have one carbed up.

You can always add sourness by adding lactic acid to the beer. It's easy to go overboard though.

Latest posts

Back