filling a tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, this site has been tons of help. So thanks to everyone. I was wondering if you can bring a paintball tank to Airgas or Praxair (or any welding supply store) and get it filled? Or do paintball stores only fill those tanks? I'm kind of afraid to force carbonate with the paintball CO2 since i'm gussing it's not 99% pure. I really dont want to die or find out what could happen with not using pure CO2. Thanks, and have a happy new year.

Peter

I just got my first 5lb bottle and went to both airgas and another store just like it and they would'nt even fill it...only trade it for an old one that was already filled like the propane exchange. Some welding shops will fill your own tank but I don't know about paintball tanks. Also, I don't think (and don't quote me on this either) that a paintball gun tank will last to long. A 5lb tank will work for (as I was told) 12-18 five gallon batches. If I remember correctly, a paintball tank is pretty small. If you can shell out the $50 bucks, I would just go with a shiny new tank or just go to airgas and buy a full one and from then on you just exchange it for another filled one later. Hope that helps a little.

thanks for the info. I went to AirGas 2 days ago and the guy that worked there told me that a 5lb tank plus the first fill would cost me 90 dollar. So i don't see where people get 50 from. I would be cool with a 2.5lb tank. I don't plan on kegging 365.

scour craigslist for a few months in your area, and you should be able to find a good deal.

i bought a 50# co2 tank off craigslist for 20 dollars, paid 17.50 for the hydro test, and 15 for the fill. that comes out to around 50 dollars for a full 50 lbs of co2. now a 50# tank is not practical to move, so i also have a few 20# tanks i bought for around 20 a piece, plus the cost of the hydro and swap as well. i also have a 2.5# tank for emergencies and for leak testing.

i don't believe you can get a paintball tank filled at a welding supply shop, as they are a welding supply shop. what they may be able to do is sell you a siphon tank, and you can get a filler off ebay, and fill the paintball tanks yourself. i personally would just get an industrial welding co2 tank, and use that. this is if you can afford the up front cost. i think it will save you money and headaches in the future.

The purity of the CO2 isn't really a question. There are a limited number of ways to make liquid carbonic and they all result in a very pure product. I suspect if you went into the back room of a paintball store, there would be a couple 50# welding/beverage tanks.

Back