Nottingham Yeast recall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm a little upset about this - I sent in 5 packs of Notty, got back 3 packs of D-47 and 3 packs of 1118, and NO replacement Nottingham!

I asked for my "bonus packs" to be shipped as D-47 or 1118 since 5 packs of Notty was PLENTY for me, and I really would never use many more than that before they expired. Someone didn't understand.

I'm not sure I'll ever get around to buying Nottingham again, I'm using US-05 now, and I don't see a reason to switch back.

At least they set me up for my cider and melomel projects!

I just got four packs back for one that I sent in. I made a starter with it this saturday just to make sure it was viable, it took off lake crazy and is bubbling away in a brown ale at 62 degress like a champ.

Not sure why everyone else is having such a bad time, but I'm with permo. I sent in four sachets, got back eight and pitched two in a 10 gallon batch. It was going strong within 12 hours.

Not sure why everyone else is having such a bad time, but I'm with permo. I sent in four sachets, got back eight and pitched two in a 10 gallon batch. It was going strong within 12 hours.
The packets I got back from the recall started and went great. That was my first time ever using Notty. So I bought some more. I pitched a hydrated packet (from the purchase, not the recall) into a 1.055 Oatmeal Stout Sunday afternoon and it had not started by this morning. This is extremely unusual for me, I almost always have krausen by Monday morning. And I have an FFT going too so the FFT should always start extremely quickly (another side benefit of doing FFTs!) but it's not doing a thing.

I know it's common to hear "wait 72 hours" but for me; that's WAY too long. Good healthy yeast pitched at the correct rate and with the temp in the right range should take off WAY before 72 hours IME.

Great... now I see this thread. I brewed my 1st ever batch the past Sunday and Notty was the yeast in the kit I was using. I knew enough to check the date and I remember it was 1/2011. But having not seen this thread till now I used the pack and threw the packaging away after using. I have no idea if my pack was one of the recalled or not and my fermentation has been slower than what I expected, 12-24 hours to start and now 1 bubble every 20-30 seconds or so.

Great... now I see this thread. I brewed my 1st ever batch the past Sunday and Notty was the yeast in the kit I was using. I knew enough to check the date and I remember it was 1/2011. But having not seen this thread till now I used the pack and threw the packaging away after using. I have no idea if my pack was one of the recalled or not and my fermentation has been slower than what I expected, 12-24 hours to start and now 1 bubble every 20-30 seconds or so.

Sounds a little sluggish. But airlock activity can be deceiving and your beer will probably be fine. F.G. is what really matters.

Yeah that is sluggish for nottingham. I can vouch for the recalled yeast being not good. I sent back three backs the the company and recieved 6 packs back in return so that was good.

Don't be afraid to use nottingham ale yeast, personaly I think it is very underrated, I like it better then the heralded US-05. It is more attenuative, just as clean if not cleaner, and flocculates better. Good stuff....very good stuff.

Well I've used it a few times lately and it seem to be back to the ol' Notty I knew before the recall problems.

+1 It is a great yeast at a great price. I have had success using nottingham in a variety of styles....heck if you are very carefull and ferment it at 72-73 degrees you can even pull of a belgian with it.....a few banana, clove esters at that temp.

I sent in 2 sachets that were part of the recall and got 5 back from them within a week or so. since then ive used about 2 of them and no problems at all. notty may have screwed up once, but they have made it up to me at this point and im happy with them again

Latest posts

Back