Hurricane Hefe-Wizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Sitting here in Dallas while the remnants of Ike blow and pour rain here, so I decided today was a good day to keg my Hefe-Wizen I have had in the fermenter for almost two weeks now. I took the advice here and prolonged kegging even though fermentation temps here was about 78 degrees and it looked finished after a week (it blew off hard after only 4 hours and continued for 48 hours like that).

The brew was a Edme wheat kit and I added 2 lbs. of wheat DME and about 1/4 oz. of Saaz hop pellets the last 5 minutes of the boil for the aroma and flavoring hops, and fermented with some specialty hefe-wizen yeast I got from the LHBS. . Original gravity was 1.048 and finishing is 1.012 - not too bad. The beer from the hydrometer tasted like a hefe-wizen, so that is good.

My evaluation so far: good color, no hops aroma (drats), nice bannana esters, a little sour in the aftertaste (may just be because it is green). I'll cross my fingers that the dreaded metalic taste does not rear it's head again on this batch.

I'll call this batch Hurricane Hefe-Wizen.

Dan

Back