Using Diff yeast-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I was at the LHBS and I saw they have cider yeast smack paks.

Should I use this instead of Ale yeast?

Ive got 5 gal of Apple Cider I was going to make the Apfelwein with.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the coin on a smackpack. Ed's recipe calls for Montcriet (sp?) yeast, a dry wine yeast that's cheap as hell. My version used Nottingham, another dry (ale) yeast that's also cheap as hell. Everyone loves Ed's basic version, and I like how the Nottingham came out; I'm not sure what benefit you would have from using the cider yeast.

I actually used the wyeast sweet mead yeast for my cider. Just tasted it on Monday and it's not bad, but needs about a month to mellow. Surprisingly, it's not very sweet either. A good balance IMO.

I prefer the cider yeast because it doesnt dry the cider out as much as the wine and champaigne yeasts do. If I cant get cider yeast I use a british ale yeast . . . and I always use liquid yeast

I did my first cider with 2 LBS. brown sugar, and Red Star Pasture Champaign yeast. It was too dry, with no flavor.

My second batch is still in the primary, but I didn't use any sugar, and I'm using Wyeast Cider yeast 4766. It is suppose to be dry with a fruity finish. I'm hoping this yeast will leave me some flavor, and the lack of sugar will be less dry.

I ended up using wyeast sweet mead yeast- With 5 gal cider and 2lbs dextros. I also added a 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. Cant wait for it to be done!

Back