Any downside to doing 2-3 gall. boils in 8 gall. kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brewer

Reaction score
I have access to a nice stainless kettle and was wondering if this is actually too big for a beginning brewer that is mostly going to be doing 2-3 gallon boils.

Thoughts?

The wort will be spread out more...more surface area so you will get more evaporation and there will be a larger surface area for caramalization (or burning). I see no reason why it won't work, just have to keep an eye on things until you get used to it. Or I could trade you my 30qt.:p

Boston Brewer said:
I have access to a nice stainless kettle and was wondering if this is actually too big for a beginning brewer that is mostly going to be doing 2-3 gallon boils.

Thoughts?

I do extract kits with a ten gal all the time... start out boiling 6.25 gal instead of 2-3 gal. If you can fit it all in there it will be better in the end.

:tank:

Are you only making 2-3 gallons of beer, or are you making 5 gallons but only boiling 2-3. If you are making a full 5 gallons, it is best to do a full 5 gallon boil, you get better results.

Donasay said:
Are you only making 2-3 gallons of beer, or are you making 5 gallons but only boiling 2-3. If you are making a full 5 gallons, it is best to do a full 5 gallon boil, you get better results.

Yeah. My problem is that I have no way to effectively cool 5 gallons. I would buy an immersion chiller, but all the hookups on our faucets are a bit wonky, and I have been unable to find a faucet-to-garden hose adapter that will fit. I will have to take a picture of the connecter later in case someone recognizes the type of connection and can help me out on that front.

For now, then, I am left using an ice bath in the sink...I question whether an ice bath in the sink is going to effectively cool 5 gallons.

I know home depot sells adapters that will allow you to connect a garden hose to your sink faucet, but it seems like you want to hook up a sink faucet sized tube to a garden spigot correct. Just to let you know, you can cut off the current adapter and put on whatever size you want. I had to do some changes to a lot of my equipment when I transferred all of the water for my brewery over to garden hose quick disconnects. Those things are amazingly cool and very quick to change between parts, plus everything is standardized, so it all works interchangably with no screwing and unscrewing. Plus if you get good at it, you won't even have to turn the water off when you swap out gear.

Don

Donasay said:
I know home depot sells adapters that will allow you to connect a garden hose to your sink faucet, but it seems like you want to hook up a sink faucet sized tube to a garden spigot correct.

All the ICs I was looking at took garden hose connectors. I have no access to a garden hose (third floor condo) and so was looking for an adapter to connect to the sink.

Problem is, the sink connector is funky...I'll have to post a pic later to show you.

Where in Boston are you?

A lot of sinks have the threads under a metal cap you have to screw off. Also, most HBS sell bottle washer adaptors, they're the same as the faucet to hose adaptors.

Boston Brewer said:
All the ICs I was looking at took garden hose connectors. I have no access to a garden hose (third floor condo) and so was looking for an adapter to connect to the sink.

Problem is, the sink connector is funky...I'll have to post a pic later to show you.

Where in Boston are you?

I am currently in Jamaica Plain, but I used to live in Southie, I got all of my garden hose / Chiller stuff from the home depot over by you in the south bay plaza. It is to the left when you go in against the back wall near all the grills and weed-wackers.

3rd floor condo....do you have space to boil 5-6 gallons? typically a home stove isn't up to that task, especially electric ranges. its usually easier to boil outdoors with a propane burner...but on a 3rd floor balcony that can be dangerous and possibly illegal or at least against the building rules.

Back