Getting rid of spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
Anyone have a good method of getting their grain from the mashtun into a garbage bag? I had the bright idea of fitting a garbage bag over the mashtun and then turning it over an having the grains fall into the bag...bad idea in retrospect. Garbage bag came loose and dumped wet, sticky grains all over the garage floor.

I normally keep about a 1/4 of it to make dog treats for my dogs, and then dump the rest in a field behind my house. Also, one of these days, i'm going to take a stab at making cookies with them.

ok, put the large trash bag around the opening, lean the mash tun to the side and then flip it over, so that it's touching the ground now, and not much as come out. Then you can slowly lift it up, while holding onto the top of the bag as well. Just a though.

Put the garbage bag in a bucket for support then dump the mash tun in. We are fortunate in Portland to have curbside food-waste compost pick up, so I use the green compostable bags but they aren't that strong - making having the bag supported a necessity.

I usually save a little as well for baking/cooking. There are several websites with recipes. Sometimes I use it, sometimes that bit ends up in the compost bin a few days later...

Put the garbage bag in a bucket for support then dump the mash tun in. We are fortunate in Portland to have curbside food-waste compost pick up, so I use the green compostable bags but they aren't that strong - making having the bag supported a necessity.

I usually save a little as well for baking/cooking. There are several websites with recipes. Sometimes I use it, sometimes that bit ends up in the compost bin a few days later...

I also put these in ziplock bags and freeze the grains for future use.

Put it in a composter. I have a 55+ gallon blue barrel and I just throw it in and give it a tumble or two to mix it in and call it good. The end result is killer flowers and good strong hop bines in the summer. If you mix it in, allow it to cook off and stockpile what you dont use you can run a rake over the top and make a couple of rows and get some really lush and strong hops with minimal work and investment. Just an idea..... and my dog loves the doggy biscuits I make for her too.
Wheelchair Bob

Pull the garbage completely over the top of the tun is in the bottom of the bag. Hold the bag while flipping over to dump. This works for me. I also dump in the yard for the deer.

Costs a little more, but I keep contractor trash bags on hand, just for this. I can pretty well put my entire 10 gal cooler in the bag and then flip it over.

Back