Orange Zest: Potential infections and long term stability problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavSenior

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about using zest in a wheat beer.

Are there any potential issues with the zest infecting the beer, or causing any long term stability issues? If so, how do I get around this?

I was planning on cleaning the fruit by dunking it in a 1% peracetic acid prior to zesting, will this be sufficient for cleaning the fruit?

I will be adding the zest at the end of the boil.

Cheers!

I usually add my fresh zest within 5 minutes of the end of the boil, or right at the end of the boil. Five minutes at ~212F is sufficient for killing most bugs. If I add at the end of the boil, I let it steep at 190-200F for about 10 or 15 minutes during whirlpool. With either method, I've never had any issues with contamination. Hope this helps!

I usually add my fresh zest within 5 minutes of the end of the boil, or right at the end of the boil. Five minutes at ~212F is sufficient for killing most bugs. If I add at the end of the boil, I let it steep at 190-200F for about 10 or 15 minutes during whirlpool. With either method, I've never had any issues with contamination. Hope this helps!

this. I usually dont do fresh orange zest though. I usually buy Sweet Orange Peels. 5 mins in boil is usually the best time to add these. If it's any addition after the boil as per the recipe, just boil them in a cup of water for a few mins to sterilize, then make your addition.

I've added orange zest at the end of the boil for two different beers, and I've used some in secondary on another beer. The one I put in secondary, I scrubbed the oranges using organic soap (and hot water), zested the oranges, then let the zest soak in some 100 proof vodka. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Go easy on the zest though. I used too much and gave my beer a little grapefruit smell/bitterness...it's slowly going away though.

I've added orange zest at the end of the boil for two different beers, and I've used some in secondary on another beer. The one I put in secondary, I scrubbed the oranges using organic soap (and hot water), zested the oranges, then let the zest soak in some 100 proof vodka. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Go easy on the zest though. I used too much and gave my beer a little grapefruit smell/bitterness...it's slowly going away though.

If you're getting bitterness, perhaps you're getting some of the pith with your zest? What method are you using to get the zest? Or did you add a LOT of zest to the secondary?

100 proof vodka or everclear would work, just be sure to use as little as possible, especially if your using everclear or a low grade vodka. It doesnt take much to make a noticeable presence in your beer. I'd say 1/2 to 1 cup max.

If you're getting bitterness, perhaps you're getting some of the pith with your zest? What method are you using to get the zest? Or did you add a LOT of zest to the secondary?
I used an apple pealer and had little to no pith, but I did use zest from either 3 or 5 large oranges, I can't remember. I think I used too much.

I used an apple pealer and had little to no pith, but I did use zest from either 3 or 5 large oranges, I can't remember. I think I used too much.

I see.

I use a zest peeler like this one, and it does a good job of leaving the pith behind. (click image to view at Amazon)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see.

I use a zest peeler like this one, and it does a good job of leaving the pith behind. (click image to view at Amazon)

Oh that would have been great to have. I ended up putting my orange peal along with the vodka in a sanitized hand blender/chopper thing of my wife's to get it into much smaller pieces. Poor boys have poor ways I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back