Grains are steeping!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
I was up at 630 today... couldn't sleep cause I was so excited to start brewing... the grains are steeping. Items are in sanitizer. Fermernter is sanitzed. Extra water is boiled. LME is warming up. Water is in fridge to cool... Hops are opened... man not what I thought they'd smell like....

Its posts like these that I love to see! Its nice to see someone get really excited for their first brew day, make me want a brew even more!

Congrats on your first brew, and hopefully everything goes well for you!

Going to the boil point to add the LME.... man this is awesome.

Congrats! Be sure to turn down the heat (move the pot off of the burner) when adding the LME so that you don't scorch any on the bottom of the pot.

Traditional advice to noobs: Patience, do not try to rush it along.

I'm getting a vicarious rush from him too. Makes me wanna get out and brew this hefe I have on deck. Might just hafta do it tommorrow.
Wheelchair Bob

Ok so its boiling... The recipe says to boil for an hr. w the hops. How do I know if this is long enough?

Included a picture! Its dark....

DSC02060.jpg

Bittering hops are typically a 60 minute boil. Are there other hops to add? Looks great btw

1 hour boils are the standard nowadays. I think what they mean is the bittering addition goes in,set for one hour boil. then wait for it to get down to the time remaining for flavor & aroma additions.

This recipe did not have any other hops to add. Is the recipe wrong? Its the Irish Carbomb.

Just a light bittering addition.. Pretty typical for the style.

Cool! Congratulations! We will be looking forward to your "Is my yeast ok" and "will my beer ever carbonate" threads ;)

AHHAHAH i'm sure i'll come up with some dumber questions... like... why is the sanitizer foamy... is the foam ok???

Wort in the ice bath as we speak.

Dry. Nottingham. bout to take a reading before pitching. and a first taste.... kinda scared...

Boiled 3 gallons. Added 2 to fermenter. Got it cooled pretty quick. Getting ready to pitch the yeast....

sok454 said:
Boiled 3 gallons. Added 2 to fermenter. Got it cooled pretty quick. Getting ready to pitch the yeast....

Your OG may not be 100% accurate depending on how you were able to mix the solution. It's very difficult to get the rich wort to mix with the water. What was the recipe?

Never mind, found it. Likely you're not at 1.060 if you used the recipe and are actually at 5 gallons. If you used a wine thief to draw a sample and took it from the bottom you're getting richer wort than what's at the top. This happens 90% of the time with partials, and is responsible for 2 bazillion "my OG is too low/high!" Threads.

Ill post it here in a bit... had to change it up as midwest was out... it actually tastes damn good... I'm surprised for a first time!!!

sok454 said:
Ill post it here in a bit... had to change it up as midwest was out... it actually tastes damn good... I'm surprised for a first time!!!

It sounds like you researched very well before your first attempt. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results.

I actually didn't take it from the bottom. It was from the top 1/3.... uh oh. I used a sanitized glass. Ill post a pic of the reading.

It's nothing to fret over. If you post the recipe you used anyone with brewing software can tell you more or less exactly what your OG is, since extracts are very predictable.

Awesome. I posted a pic of the hydrometer in another thread. Thanks for the information. Soon as I get some time today I'll post the recipe.

That's it!!!.....I'm jones'en to run off a batch now. I am gonna tell the SWMBO that it is HBT's fault I would rather brew than hang out in the AC with her. I have a Hanks Hefe thats just dieing to get boiled up, and a traditional bavarian hefe or wait til Wed and get the Dark Lager from AHS. I know I have way too many unused kits, but in my defense I have been ill and unable to work on my brew tower or whip up a batch lately. So the next best thing was order ingredients kits so I could brew my butt off when I feel better... Plus I gotta make SWMBO a batch of traditional root beer and keg it and put it on tap for her. Lots to do, little time... It's all you guys fault!!!
Wheelchair Bob

I'm nearly in the same boat. Bad L@ disc & hip joints goin south. Can't believe I walk rather slowly & painfully with a cane. So brew day takes a lot out of me lately,but worth it. Clean up takes me longer while trying to recover from joint pain after said day. Almost got that done while my PM pale ale slowly bubbles toward finish. Now if I could get my Chrismas batch going before nov 1...

Back