I am impressed with White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To date, I have always used dry yeast (with no problems) but I made a beer yesterday using WLP001 liquid yeast from White labs. For my dry yeasts, I usually soak them for 20 minutes or do up a little starter but with the vial of WLP001, I just shook it up and pitched it. Took a skeptical look at it this morning and it is bubbling like a whore in church. I am surprised it hasn't blow the airlock off with how its going. Must admit that I am somewhat impressed.

... it is bubbling like a whore in church. I am surprised it hasn't blow the airlock off with how its going. Must admit that I am somewhat impressed.

I think you and I have different expectations of what whores do in church... :cross:

It is going nuts because it is designed as a high-temp yeast strain, not because it's liquid yeast or of some certain quality point. In fact, it looks like you didn't make a starter with the liquid yeast, so you likely underpitched, and this may not turn out quite as good as if you had used the equivilant chino dry yeast. That liquid vial has about 30 billion viable cells, while a 11.5 gram packet of something like Safale S-05 has 60 billion.

These days, dry yeast is every bit as high quality as liquid yeast, and dry is actually typically a better option for brewers that don't make proper starters.

All very interesting information. I still like dry yeast since I mostly make mead (EC1118 is my favorite). This liquid yeast was suggested as I am making an Amber Ale while waiting for some meads and braggots to age. I didn't think it would need a starter. I guess we will see how it works out!,

dont forget to make a starter with your new found love of liquid yeast. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

+1, despite the quick start, you are getting a markedly different pitch rate using a vial of 001 vs an 11.5 gm packet of US-05...

...But in general, I've also been impressed with White Labs, but more related to their responsiveness to questions, etc. I haven't tried them, but they also now offer a number of new lab services that have previously been relatively unavailable to homebrewers, if you're into that sort of thing...

It is going nuts because it is designed as a high-temp yeast strain, not because it's liquid yeast or of some certain quality point. In fact, it looks like you didn't make a starter with the liquid yeast, so you likely underpitched, and this may not turn out quite as good as if you had used the equivilant chino dry yeast. That liquid vial has about 30 billion viable cells, while a 11.5 gram packet of something like Safale S-05 has 60 billion.

These days, dry yeast is every bit as high quality as liquid yeast, and dry is actually typically a better option for brewers that don't make proper starters.

WL website state that each vial contains 75-150 billion cells. The count and viability is directly related to the age and conditions the vial has experienced of course.

I've had good luck just pitching the vial in a smaller gravity beer, but the difference since I started making starters was amazing. They are so easy since I started canning my own starter wort and using a stirplate.

WL website state that each vial contains 75-150 billion cells. The count and viability is directly related to the age and conditions the vial has experienced of course.

The "good by" date on the vial was feb 2013 which they claim is exactly 4 months out from bottling so it had to be brand new and it was refrigerated at the brew store so I am guessing it was in good shape.

That liquid vial has about 30 billion viable cells, while a 11.5 gram packet of something like Safale S-05 has 60 billion.

I'm pretty sure your numbers are supposed to be 5 times these - 150 for liquid (optimum) and 300 for dry.

I'm pretty sure your numbers are supposed to be 5 times these - 150 for liquid (optimum) and 300 for dry.

EDIT: My bad posted bad math.

Danstar says 5x10 (to the power of 9) for each gram, so 50 Billion cells times 11 grams = 550 Billion cells.

Fermentis says 6x10 (to the power of 9) for each gram so 60 Billion cells times 11.5 grams = 690 Billion cells.

While Mr. Malty is a good site, yeastcalc.com is far better IME/IMO. For one thing, yeastcalc will figure out up to three starter steps for you. So, you can make smaller starters, over more time, to get the cell count you need. Use a stirplate and you can make even smaller starters (compared with not using a stirplate). I have a two step starter planned for next weekend's brew day (the 20th) and then a three step for the following weekend brew day (a BIG barely wine). Using this method I'll get the cell count needed and use less DME in the process.

Viability is very important but you can't forget vitality. If the cells are in poor health their cell walls will be like Swiss cheese. This will prohibit them from controlling the chemicals they produce during fermentation and also reabsorbing them during the rest phase.

Thing is, the selection/variety of dry yeast doesn't even come close to the liquid [beer] yeast selection. That, alone, is enough to keep me using liquid yeast strains.

Back