Bottled stout tonight - low FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancingbarefoot

Reaction score
My stout's been in the secondary for two weeks on the dot, and the FG is stable at 1.005. So I bottled it, which other than taking forever - sanitizing takes so long in my tiny kitchen! - went fine.

Is 1.005 strangely low? The sample I tasted tastes fine, so I'm not worried, but I'd just kinda like to know if I'm within the normal range.

To be clear:

Although that does seem low, it could indicate that your beer is unusually alcoholic, which would be fine. If I knew your O.G. I could tell you. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.

Sorry, forgot to say that the OG was 1.035 (which I've since heard is kinda low for a stout).

Oh, and when I bottled, the beer was at 79 F (stupid #&*!@ roommates messing with the thermostat!).

Yeah, that explains it. It will be a shade on the light side, but I still wouldn't worry. It should still be quite tasty. What was your recipe?

rewster451 said:
Yeah, that explains it. It will be a shade on the light side, but I still wouldn't worry. It should still be quite tasty. What was your recipe?

Thanks, that's reassuring.

I thought the measurement must've been wrong, because it really tasted like a normal stout (minus carbonation, of course). *shrug*

The recipe came with an extract kit I got at my LHBS (DeFalco's). I can post the ingredients tomorrow, but I think I'd better sign off for now. Morning comes too early.

Thanks for the help! :)

Thanks, everyone! Now the hard part will be waiting for it to carbonate. :D

And I'm already thinking about my next batch. Kinda silly since I don't even really know the results of this one! Something nice & malty, though...

OK, here's the recipe that came with the extract kit from my LHBS:

*3-4 lbs. hopped malt extract (sorry, can't remember the brand - Imperial, maybe? I'd recognize it if I saw it again)
*2 lbs. unhopped malt extract
*1 oz. hops (pellets)
*liquid yeast (again, forgot the name)
*Bru-Vigor

Now that I read back, that's very vague. It all came pre-measured, so I didn't care at the time. As long as it turns out decent, I guess it doesn't matter.

Next time, though, I'm going to write exact amounts down, even if I end up buying a kit again. (All-grain won't work in my current living quarters, though it sounds fun and worth the effort.)

Back