4.0 frigidaire kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I just got a deal on a 4.0 frigidaire kegerator for 99 bucks

Now I'm wondering if it's big enough. All I see are 4.4 being used.

I haven't opened it yet it's still in the box. I may go buy a couple of kegs just to say.

Has anyone used a 4.0?

I built mine from a Danby 4.4 all fridge...from what I've read, the 4.4s are just wider and 2 kegs fit side by side nicely. Ive seen videos of guys cutting and reshaping the foam inside to make a 4.0 work and you'll definitely need to modify the freezer if it has one. I'm not trying to discourage you at all but if you have an exta 100$ that you could spend on your kegerator...It would make life a lot easier.

I built mine from a Danby 4.4 all fridge...from what I've read, the 4.4s are just wider and 2 kegs fit side by side nicely. Ive seen videos of guys cutting and reshaping the foam inside to make a 4.0 work and you'll definitely need to modify the freezer if it has one. I'm not trying to discourage you at all but if you have an exta 100$ that you could spend on your kegerator...It would make life a lot easier.

Thanks for the reply, It was an impulse buy I was in there looking for a de humidifier for my basement.

I'm going to stick with it after what you just told me. I was hoping to get 2 kegs in there so I'll have to modify. This will be a winter project so I'm just getting the pieces together.

I also forgot to mention that with the design I'm working on the co tank will go on the outside. The entire fridge will be encased in a cabinet.

very cool, you should take some pics when you build it and post em. Im sure a bunch of guys would love to see how to make a 4 cft fridge work.

Ok, Couple of areas of concern here. I realize this is going to be trouble but I'm too lazy to take the thing back. Besides if it doesn't work out I can always convert to a ferm chamber.

IMG_3502.jpg

4.0 fridge

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

I started to remove stuff and the freezer part I'm not sure what to do.

IMG_3505.jpg

I was thinking of dremeling this off or is there another way?

IMG_3507.jpg

Also, I can take the door clean off it's glued on but I thing the best route here is to cut off the damn thing with a dremel so that of the insulation remains.

The width is 15.5 inches. the depth is about 9in.

being that a corny keg is 8.5 inches wide I'm not able to fit 2 kegs without some widening modifications. I need at least 17.5 inches.

If you dremel off the part that connects to the cooling plate that is in the freezer you would have a $99 cabinet that would never cool. Don't cut the refrigerant line going to the freezer plate.

As for the door, that stuff comes off pretty easily. Use the dremel to cut the plasitc, keep the outer part as that is where the gasket will reattach. Just cut away all the plastic in the middle and then you can use a serrated knife or saw blade to cut the foam out of it.

Wow good call, so what do I do? how do I get the clearance I need for the height?

IMG_3508.jpg

It's attached to the shelf

There is a video on youtube where the guy just carefully bends the freezer shelf down and tries not to kink the pipes...I'll post the link if I can find it.

Make sure you do any bending or manipulations of the freezer plate when the fridge has been unplugged and is at room temperature. I found this out the hard way, I had forgotten the owner had it plugged in to prove it worked.

I completely unscrewed the inside door piece and replaced it with lightweight paneling. If your fridge packs the width for 2 kegs, replacing this piece may give you enough depth to slightly stagger the kegs.

RBelanger said:
There is a video on youtube where the guy just carefully bends the freezer shelf down and tries not to kink the pipes...I'll post the link if I can find it.

Latest posts

Back