Making keggle all shiny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
:D I want to make my converted keg nice and shiny instead of the aluminum look it's got going on. Which colored brillo pads do I attach to my sander? I know you start at one color then switch to another to finish it up.

I like this look. I think polished kegs would look gay.
gayanim.gif

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33053

Lil' Sparky said:
I like this look. I think polished kegs would look gay.
gayanim.gif

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33053

Thanks, those are my kegs and I like the non polished look as well. I like industrial looking things. :mug:

Grimsawyer all I did was use 80 and then 120 grit sandpaper followed up with a good cleaning with Bar keepers friend which you can find at Walmart for cheap.

:)

Come up to my place and borrow the 4" grinder and blue and gray scotch brite pads to polish your keg. Will be welding couplings in two kegs for Dave and making a false bottom for the mash tun this weekend. If you want just bring the keg and do it here as i have a stand and support arm made for working on kegs at a reasonable elevation with out killing your back.

Hey Kladue! What's up? If I had weekends off like "normal people"(I use this term loosely, hehehe ;) ) I would so totally be there. I'd even bring this killer barleywine I've fallen in love with. Train Wreck! Awesome beer! So it's the blue then grey, eh? I'll have to remember that! Are you making the false bottom out of stretched SS and SS screen like in your setup or are you going with one that resembles the sabco false bottom? I think on my christmas list I'm putting a welder capable of doing thin SS... and $$ for materials to practice on. Then I'm just going to go NUTS building crap for brewing. Say on the scotch brite pads is there another color that's a finer abrasive so i can mirror stuff up even better or does the blue and then grey do just fine?

Try the Walter metal polishing system. A small package of scotch brite weels in order all the way to mirror polish. If you have a 4'' angle grinder you can get the backing plate for it and just buy the pads you need. I highly recomend this system. Easy , Fast, a great finish. I like the look of highly polished SS. Oh and I'm not Gay ! Love the punani ! Cheers

I do not know what colour pads that you are on about but I have to ali barrels each at 4.5 gallons and they both shine i just used a course one just to remove paint and deep marks then all over with a medium one to remove any marks left from the first pad then a smooth one to remove the marks from that pad then i used metal car bumper (fender ) polish and a lambs wool polishing pad and you just keep going with the pad and polish until its smooth and then you find the most smoothest polish you can find . the idea with the pads is to only remove the scratches from the last pad only you can not start with a smooth pad all the way it will take months and hundreds of pads that way

The challage I have with my two barrels is that I wish to store red wine in them can you do this in aliuminium barrels or do I have to seel the insides with a liner first if so what to use, wax or some sort of varnish or paint

Westonpete,
You should consider a liner for the aluminum barrels as the sulphites in the wine may not like close contact with aluminum. you might be able to find HDPE liners and heat seal after filling to preserve the contents.

Grimsawyer
Am now working out of town yet again on a paper machine build for GP in Wauna, down side is home on weekends only, upside is 1/4"- 1" tubing scrap and tools to bend it. Will make a copy of the expanded SS and screen wire false bottom for daves mash tun and see if i can spot weld the screen to the expanded metal instead of silver soldering. If you want to borrow the grinder during the week your welcome to it as i would only need it on the weekends.

Latest posts

Back