AG Stout, please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginerd

Reaction score
I've never brewed a stout before and would like to humbly ask for any help with what I've got so far for grain bill and hopping. (I should be able to handle the rest)

8 lbs of 2 row pale
1 lb flaked barley
.75 lb roasted barley
.5 lb carapils
.25 lb chocolate

Single infusion at 152-154*F. My effeciency has been pretty low, around 60-65% I think.

2 oz fuggles (~4.5%) for 60 min.

I would like it to end up dry, but with a nice, smooth mouthfeel that sticks fairly close to the true style. Nothing fancy though. This will be the most complex I've done before, typically sticking to blondes and pales with only one or two specialty malts after the base.

I won't even askes questions here, but just let you share your experience and advice. Thank you in advance for your help.

I would switch the roasted and chocolate up a bit personally, I think roasted can really be over bearing sometimes. .5lb should be plenty of roasted and you could get away with almost a pound of chocolate..... but hey, that's my personal taste. This could be real good as you have it.

I think the grain bill is good, nice and simple. Stouts are better, I think, when simple.

I have to slightly disagree with seefresh on this one. Simply because I like the defining characteristic of my Stouts to be the Roasted Barley rather than the Chocolate...which I reserve to dominate my Porters usually. You actually have a good recipe imo, I don't think I'd change anything, but depending on your water and procedure you'll need to see if the Roasted Barley makes it astringent...if so you may need to add some bicarbonates. That Stout will probably mellow out nicely in 2 1/2 to 3 months is my guess.

If you are using a dry yeast Nottingham or S-56 or maybe S-02 would be good choices for the dryness you want. But the 1/2 lb Carapils might keep you from some of the dryness you are after.

I would drop the .5 lb carapils for a dry stout and stouts arnt suppose to be hoppy. the 2oz of fuggles is just right...everything else looks great and will make a nice stout.....

Thank you all for the help - which really turns out to be the confidence I needed. I think I'll drop the carapils and keep the rest. Stout55: thanks for the backup on the fuggles. I wasn't so sure about that.

Back