53 gallon Bourbon Barrel aging techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbaron

Reaction score
~~~Preface: I have been home-brewing for about a year now, so I'm still relatively new at it; that being said if this is a stupid question I apologize.~~~

I recently found a Bourbon Barrel for $50 that a local brewery used for a beer recently. I impulsively asked my wife to go buy it (which she did because she's a pretty damn amazing woman) for me since I've been wanting to get an oak barrel to age some beer in. What I didn't necessarily realize is that it's all of 53 gallons; I currently am only set up to brew in 5 gallon batches, 10 max (two carboys, one 7 gal, and one 5.5 gal).

So here's my dilemma: can I brew a normal sized batch and rack it safely to the oak barrel without risk of oxidization? If so how? If not, anyone wanna help me brew 53 gallons of beer to age :cross:

oak breathes, and as it does it absorbs some beer, with that small of a batch I dont think you would end up with much. Although I am not sure if the amount of absorbtion is static or porportional to the volume.

I think given the large surface area and the small volume, oxidation would be an issue.

If I lived in colorado I would love offer a 10 gal batch to blend with with a few other people. mmmmmm brettanomyces

You need to do a group brew and fill the sucker up all at once.

+1. I would think that it wouldn't be hard to find some brewers that would be interested in helping you out with this project. If you don't know that many off the top of your head I would put an ad out on craigslist. Knowing that most homebrewers hang out there quite often.

pbaron said:
I recently found a Bourbon Barrel for $50 that a local brewery used for a beer recently.

I'm still pretty new myself but I just listened to the latest Sunday Session on the brewing network. They had the founder of Hair of the Dog on there and they talked about barrel aging. In particular they talked about the limited number of uses a barrel has before it is not good for aging beer anymore.

So my question is, do you know how many times the barrel was used to age beer before you bought it? They mentioned that after about 2 or 3 beers it will just make your beer taste like plywood.

Not really an answer to your question but just food for thought!

I'm still pretty new myself but I just listened to the latest Sunday Session on the brewing network. They had the founder of Hair of the Dog on there and they talked about barrel aging. In particular they talked about the limited number of uses a barrel has before it is not good for aging beer anymore.

So my question is, do you know how many times the barrel was used to age beer before you bought it? They mentioned that after about 2 or 3 beers it will just make your beer taste like plywood.

Not really an answer to your question but just food for thought!

It's only been used once, I talked to Aaron at Grimm last night about my dilema, he said you can use it however many times you want but brettanomyces really starts to grow after 3-4 brews in it. So basically I can use it to age and add oaky flavor for about 3 more batches, then I'll start using it for sour beers :)

Aaron also told me to get a bunch of guys from the homebrew club here to do a group brew, so I'm going to put the word out that I have a project brew I want to do and see who wants to help.

Another question-- if I do use it for sours after the first few batches, can I safely introduce some lactobacillus to it without too much risk of contaminating my other equipment? I'm assuming I'll have to get stuff specifically for use with the sour beers (auto-syphon, hoses, etc). Thoughts on this?

definitely get a group brew together to fill it. empty space in a barrel is just asking for trouble. make sure to keep it filled in the meantime to keep it swelled.

I'd recommend brewing 60gallons for this so you have some extra to make up for the angel's share and still ahve some left to compare with the barrel aged batch.

Another question-- if I do use it for sours after the first few batches, can I safely introduce some lactobacillus to it without too much risk of contaminating my other equipment? I'm assuming I'll have to get stuff specifically for use with the sour beers (auto-syphon, hoses, etc). Thoughts on this?

should be fine. a friend of mine has been doing this for over a year without any issues.

definitely get a group brew together to fill it. empty space in a barrel is just asking for trouble. make sure to keep it filled in the meantime to keep it swelled.

I'd recommend brewing 60gallons for this so you have some extra to make up for the angel's share and still ahve some left to compare with the barrel aged batch.

should be fine. a friend of mine has been doing this for over a year without any issues.

Thanks man! Got enough interest for 40 gallons, just need two more guys and we're good!

Aaron from Grimm is a great guy. Did you get your barrel from Odells? I bought one from them last summer.

I'm curious about the size. I assumed mine was 30ish gallons because a beer barrel is supposed to be that, but now that I'm thinking about it. It's a whiskey barrel so I don't know for sure.

I went through a similar situation a year ago when I bought a used bourbon barrel from Odells with the intent on doing a huge group brew in Fort Collins. That is a little easier said than done. It can be difficult to get 5-8 people to brew and have the beer ready on the correct date. After more work I just ditched the barrel and bought an 8 gallon barrel that i can easily keep full.

Chromados

I did get the barrell from Odell's. Hopefully everyone who said they would brew will!!

Bump...

I have 6 gallon...I plan on adding to a 53gallon only for 1 to 2 weeks. And rolling it daily a little. Hope to only lose a gallon to the wood

Sorry i forgot to add.... Does anyone see too big of an issue with this....Local store thought by gently rolling it...only 5 gallons would have tons of surface contact and therefore wouldn't need months of aging to get the full effect.

One question I'd have...will this be sanitary if there is still residual bourbon in the barrel?

oh...and also...not sure if this will help...but i'm going to blow about 2 mins of Co2 into the barrel before adding the beer in too.

Sorry i forgot to add.... Does anyone see too big of an issue with this.....

yes, its a terrible idea and a ridiculous risk of oxidation/infection. get some friends and fill the whole thing

yes, its a terrible idea and a ridiculous risk of oxidation/infection. get some friends and fill the whole thing

do you think even with a short 2 week time and trying to Co2 blast it...it would still sour it and ruin it?

Back